Christmas Tree Real Or Fake

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
My nephew had a hissy fit his babies mamma set up a white tree. I told him he should have bought over and set up green tree if important to him. Don't sit on your a$$ then complain . I loved the white trees in 70s with the color wheel lights

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I loved the white trees in 70s with the color wheel lights

In the 1960's the "in" thing was aluminum trees with a color wheel. As a child I thought they were the prettiest thing I'd ever seen. We never got one. Everyone proudly displayed their decorated trees in the front window, with the curtains open. Not anymore....

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
In the 1960's the "in" thing was aluminum trees with a color wheel. As a child I thought they were the prettiest thing I'd ever seen. We never got one. Everyone proudly displayed their decorated trees in the front window, with the curtains open. Not anymore....

That was us Bay! We had that dang tree FOR. EVER. I always wanted a real one like my best friends family had. I guess the grass is always greener...
Finally one year the #5 kid (I was kid #4, she came 8 years later) crawled behind it and it toppled and was not repairable. Angels sang!
We had real trees every year after. :)

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gypsy got the Christmas tree (fake, ancient, and half staff) up this weekend along with our 'traditional' decorations. Along with the two poinsettias she brought home from the school band sale, the house looks Christmas ready.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We have a fake one. Grew up with real ones even did the U cut for a while. Thing was it became tough to justify the price, the mess (kids, rigs, cats bumping it making needles fall) and maintanence of a real one. Plus I don't miss the needles down my back every time I had to water it.

Real trees live outside and I run lights around the ones in our yard. It a win win.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Jared77 good to see you posting again , hope all is well.

I agree. hope things are well.

When we first moved here we bought a living tree in a pot at a nursery for the first few Christmases. After Christmas I planted those outside to form a screen between us and a neighbor maybe a quarter mile away. I can't remember what variety we got, they don't get very large, and one died after transplanting. But the two remaining form an effective visual screen.

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We've had a few real trees, but mostly we use the artificial ones. I like the slim trees. I like how they don't take up near as much room as the fuller ones do. I usually decorate ours Western. Cowboy hats, cowboy Santa and lots of rustic cowboy Christmas ornaments. For a slim tree, it is pretty loaded.

IMG_3581.JPG

Well, this year I just didn't have the energy to put it up. The tree I've been using sheds something awful. I think it sheds worse than a real tree. I've been wanting to get a new one but the slims are usually gone before Christmas so haven't been able to catch one on sale. I found one for half price at Hobby Lobby on Black Friday.

I wanted something simple & easy to put up, so I got an Alpine tree. It's pretty sparse, but does have lights. I wired some red berries on the branches and plan to wire on some pine cones. That will be all the decorations it has. I'll box it up after Christmas, and next year, just get it out and it will already be decorated. It's simple and it doesn't shed!

IMG_5016.JPG