Chronicles of a Noob Garden and Gardener

Ben E Lou

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
depending on the cover crop you choose <little late this year> in past i have planted <crimson red clover> does good till the first real hard frost then dies easy to till in.
winter rye grass it will handle our winters quite well, easy to till in..

as for a tiller thats depends on your budget box store have great sales on them but those tiller are like a bic lighter "disposable".. read up on them and find one that truly fits your need and well built..it is a major investment.
Oh yeah..definitely not doing a cover crop this year. I'll let my leaves and compost suffice for soil improvement. (Well, and I'm thinking of buying a thousand or so earthworms..)

I'm going inexpensive on the tiller--electric. This one gets ridiculously high reviews and is said to be long-lasting. For the amount I want to till this year, it would probably cost me two four-hour sessions, or around $120 worth of rental, so I figure I'd might as well purchase a 4.7-star tiller instead.

Ben E Lou

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
you have a very impressive goal... looking at your lay out you have no thyme? whats up with that?
Yeah...I hope I'm not overshooting.

Thyme--I think I failed to mention that I grew it last year and never even harvested it--another one that we just don't use that much.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh yeah..definitely not doing a cover crop this year. I'll let my leaves and compost suffice for soil improvement. (Well, and I'm thinking of buying a thousand or so earthworms..)

I'm going inexpensive on the tiller--electric. This one gets ridiculously high reviews and is said to be long-lasting. For the amount I want to till this year, it would probably cost me two four-hour sessions, or around $120 worth of rental, so I figure I'd might as well purchase a 4.7-star tiller instead.

or you could hire me and i will turn that nasty grass infested yard into a garden...:lol:

Ben E Lou

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ben you have your seed germination table prepared for next season?
Do you mean like a physical table, or are you talking about a list of dates to plant stuff and expected germination dates? If the former, no, but I think I know what I'm going to do. If the latter, it's in progress.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
germination table...
IMG_0746.JPG

30726390_356710621504275_4779315581218193408_o.jpg

or are you buying seedlings?

Latest posts