Chronicles of a Noob Garden and Gardener

Ben E Lou

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Good news: super sweet 100 cherry tomato plant is still going gabgbusters. First harvest looks to be just a day or two away.

Bad news: I hate groundhogs, ‘cause groundhogs love my sunflowers plants.

9792B964-2A2E-466E-BF9F-7D7175C6DCC4.jpeg
E3160BF9-E6B6-4831-9C4D-8FA8889AD674.jpeg
CABD6C57-D3F2-4DCD-B138-540E5962EAC4.jpeg
E2D3C2B8-17DF-4FDB-AA79-EC5B440436B7.jpeg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
yeah, groundhogs can mow down the gardens. the only nice thing is that they are better than rabbits or deer in that rabbits and deer will take out entire plants too close to the ground for any recovery to be possible. groundhogs may take the tender growth off the tops of the beans most of the time so the plants can still grow and may have a chance of getting some return.

the fence i added this spring seems to be helping cut down on critter traffic. can't wait until i can finish up the rest of what i need to get done. i've wanted to do this fence run for a long time. 100 more feet to do once i can get back to it.

i wish i could get 8ft fence instead of 6ft, but this is still looking to be working ok.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
keto squash casserole recipe
I don't know if it qualities ... I don't know if I qualify.

Zucchini is far from my favorite veggie. And, about all I know about keto is there is lots of protein and eggs seem to play a big role. How about fish?

A few years ago, I realized that my garden pumpkins were under utilized. I tried storing them on my basement shelves. They held up well! winter squash is greatly appreciated at my table but ... The pumpkins were so mildly flavored, winter squash was much preferred. Then, I thought to look at zucchini recipes, thinking to substitute pumpkin.

There are tuna and zucchini soup recipes. I was really surprised that I liked this soup ... using my pumpkins.

Steve

Junebugaboo

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I don't know if it qualities ... I don't know if I qualify.

Zucchini is far from my favorite veggie. And, about all I know about keto is there is lots of protein and eggs seem to play a big role. How about fish?

A few years ago, I realized that my garden pumpkins were under utilized. I tried storing them on my basement shelves. They held up well! winter squash is greatly appreciated at my table but ... The pumpkins were so mildly flavored, winter squash was much preferred. Then, I thought to look at zucchini recipes, thinking to substitute pumpkin.

There are tuna and zucchini soup recipes. I was really surprised that I liked this soup ... using my pumpkins.

Steve

That's what I use my pumpkin for--soups! I bake it, puree it, and then make muffins for my kids, but if you're doing keto, that probably won't work. I just recently used up my last little fairytale pumpkin, cut it into 3/4" cubes, added some onion, garlic, kale, and leeks, threw in a little cut-up bacon and baked it. If you let it cool (I store it in the fridge and take out portions as needed) and fry it up in a pan later, like a hash, it is DELICIOUS.

@Ben E Lou Your garden is LOVELY...I'm sure your kids love running around it!

Ben E Lou

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This morning‘s harvest included our first cherry tomatoes! This is the first year that I have grown tomatoes from seeds, so I’m extra excited to see these make it all the way to my family’s dinner plates. And from the second pic, seems pretty clear that there’s lots more to come.

9F1D492F-1830-49F7-9BF6-2448AFF48425.jpeg

ED298F75-61D9-420C-B0DC-2E2CADFF5995.jpeg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
congrats on a lovely harvest. Beautiful vegetables. I make a cauliflower keto casserole that is easy to make and delicious. Just substitute the yellow squash for the cauliflower.

https://www.myketokitchen.com/keto-recipes/keto-cauliflower-bake/

You can cut up some link sausage and brown it, chunk up the zucchini and cut the cherry tomatoes in half, combine in a skillet, season it the way you want. that would be keto too.