Cinderblock Raised Beds

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I found an article in my Hobby Farms magazine where the person was making a 4 sq. ft. raised bed out of cinderblock and that got me thinking...

We have an old rabbit barn on our property made entirely out of cinderblock. It must have fallen down years ago and all that is left is the cinder foundation. The mortar is so degraded that you can just push on the walls and they fall over.

So obviously here I am thinking HOLY MOLY I can use allll this wonderful cinderblock (the barn was fairly large) and build a bunch of raised beds with it.

Anyone else have cinderblock raised beds?

Did you do 2 layers of block or just one?

Also has anyone laid out and started putting together their raised beds in the winter? I'm in Ontario, Canada and we do have snow but I can shovel it away to put down my blocks.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think this will work out fine for you. The only issue with stacking them 2 high-is when the dirt freezes and moves in the winter, it might push out your top course. I would think one level would be enough...Is there any benefit to doing this now? In order to get them level you might have to move a little dirt-and that will be impossible until spring. The ground always seems flat, until you build a raised bed on it! At any rate, great reusing and recycling of materials- be sure and post a pic of your progress. Think spring!

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My garden area is actually rather level, it's been used as a small hay plot for a while and has been harrowed really nice and flat over the year lol. But I agree, it's going to be harder to get everything nice and level in the winter. I wouldn't be filling them, just laying them out and adjusting as needed in the spring.

The benefit to doing it now is that spring is really busy here and It probably wouldn't get done in the spring haha.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey, if you have some nice days and the time-how bad could it be?? I say, go for it! Moving the block around is going to be time consuming- get that done now and be ready for spring!! Good luck!

GrowsLotsaPeppers

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Almost anything makes a decent raised bed, if it isn't toxic to you. Some folks use old tires, although I'd pass on that.

The nice thing about starting now is that you can start doing your composting right in those beds. Google no till gardening. Just throw stuff in there, and let it decompose. Well, the right stuff, anyhow.

I'm a hobby woodworker. Chips, sawdust and the like goes right in with the greens clippings and kitchen wastes. If you have enough space, it can sit there all winter. You can add the 'brown matter', if you have it available, and till.

Here, I use redwood, and pay dearly for the privilege. Free blocks sound wonderful.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Free is Free! Go for it!!! I am still waiting on a free cinder block give away to come up on craigslist. I need them to built the outside of our firepit, that later on I will use nice stone and mortar to finish.

There is always a millions projects that can be done from free stuff like cinder blocks, raises beds would be perfect.

I have the Hobby Farm Home magazine right now calling for cinder blocks, sand and mud to build an outdoor pizza oven! I want to do that too....

If you got enough, it wouldn't hurt!!! ;)

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hehe, vfem... we were planning on making a compost bin with some of the extras of our cinder blocks

I'm going to have to scrap the snow off the ground but I can start laying out and dumping my goat and horse poo in them...

Latest posts