City People Afraid of Cornfields

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Before you get to my house the rode goes though a farm, corn is planted on both sides of the rode. Many times driving though when the corn was high, city friends would make remarks of creepy, scary. It happen enough times, to stand out in my memory. Does it go back to caveman days when man was prey not predator limited sight could mean death. Hollywood movies like childern of the corn (muder always chases victim into cornfield) . Alien crop circles.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
My first thought was "Children of the Corn" too.

I think it is more that people are scared of what they are not used to. I've known different people that were not comfortable if they could not hit someone else's house with a rock no matter which direction they throw it even if they don't know who is living in those houses.

Was this at night? Many people are so used to street lights they can't stand being in the dark. They often don't know how to drive without street lights too. Some don't even know they have bright lights.

One thing I get a kick out of is when city people spend the night out here. You always hear about the quiet of the country. It's usually not all that quiet out here, especially after dark with frogs, insects, coyotes, and birds. Even the wind can make a lot of noise. I've had several people that had trouble sleeping out here because it is so loud.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes always been at night. No street lights. I always thought it strange, to me just a large garden. I know what you mean about after dark quiet, Spring time frog can be very loud!!!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have family that will NOT stay at my house past a couple of hours before dusk. They say that they just don't feel safe driving 'way out here in the middle of nowhere' ...and my place is 7 miles from the interstate.
Funny - I won't stay at their place if it's starting ot get dark - the crowds of people hanging around on the sidewalks, in the parking lot, streets clogged with people 'parked' to talk to people on the sidewalks or even in cars going the other direction.....

It's all about what you're used to, I guess.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I didn't even notice. I haven't done it but can you try editing your first post? That worked in one of these formats, just not sure if it was this one.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
A bit of movies, a bit of an inability to see and more than a bit of fear of the unknown. Those same city folk that are scared they can't see into the cornfield are comfortable walking in the dark through familiar city neighborhoods.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy, I've tried editing my title also on a previous post and couldn't do it. But you know me with my limited computer skills. I wanted to include that pictures were added.

Mary

Latest posts