clean pond...

sunbury chick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I need some advice on how to clear up a pond.It's 1/2 acre of muddy water.We put lots of Koi and some catfish in,which now we find out was a big no,no. They stir up the bottom and make a big,muddy,mess.Can anyone help us?We would like to be able to swim in the pond again.....Thanks, Sunbury Chick

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Remove the fish ;) Seriously. At *least* the catfish, but the koi are not doing you one bit of good either. Iknow it will not be easy but honestly that is what you need.

Depending on your situation, you can try netting, seining, fish traps, etc. If worst comes to worst, see what the status of Rotenone is in your state (you may be able to get a company to come in and rotenone the pond even if you can't use it yourself, but honestly I have *no* idea how control of it may have changed in the last, like, 15 years. It will kill all non-air-breathing animals in the pond but quite quickly breaks down into pretty harmless substances.)

Also, even before you remove them, quit feeding them. The nutrients you put in, in the form of food, mostly go straight thru the fish and exit as food for algae and bacteria (also water plants, but if you don't have much of them, then, you know).

I'd then give the pond a season, or a year, and see what it does on its own before I contemplated any further management - it may be that you're satisfied with how it settles down on its own.

Good luck,

Pat

Latest posts