Clematis And Lightposts

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can turn the breaker to those lights off to be double sure. But really, the size hole you're going to dig for a 3" pot is negligible.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
How does 811 work? Do they have a metal detector, or do they go by some kind of underground survey? Pvc pipes wouldn't show up with a metal detector.

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Out here, if you call 811, the power and phone companies only mark their own lines. They will show you where the buried line is from their pole to your house, but once it hits the electric meter or the phone box on the outside of the house, you're on your own.

We have lines running all over the place -- to the well house, up to the front for lights, out to the detached garage. They weren't any help at all with those.

(They have a detector that can sense the electricity. It's not a metal detector.)

-Wendy

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Going to do journeys suggestion and build low wall around so I don't have to dig. 1 is large white, 1 is a large red. I am hoping they flower at diffent times.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Going to do journeys suggestion and build low wall around so I don't have to dig. 1 is large white, 1 is a large red. I am hoping they flower at diffent times.
Regarding raising soil height ... If your light post is metal and set into concrete, the soil acids will eat away the metal at and below soil surface and the post will have to be replaced just as the clematis is grown. Also, you said that the electrical wires are in plastic so you will have no problem in digging in the area ( electrical code states that electrical wires are to be buried 16" below soil surface ) unless you dig with a trencher. Another potential problem one may encounter is when the plant roots grow quite large they can push the line away and eventually put stress on the wire's connection points then disconnect or break the wire connection in the light fixture . All potentially expensive scenarios in the future. I would rethink this landscaping.

Latest posts