Clematis propagation

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have some established clematis I am considering taking with me when I finally get to leave. However, the roots are buried under a mess of brambles, rose bushes, rocks, etc.
Has anyone ever grown clematis by cuttings? What I have read on the seed pods, it may take up to 3 years to germinate seeds.
I have already dug up and potted the peony, and the hosta.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
from what i can tell it will root from the partially woody tops from early summer growth.

take almost all of the leaves off so there are nodes and use a bit of rooting hormone and poke the stem in some sterile potting soil, firm it to make sure there isn't any air gaps around the stem and keep it cool and damp and out of direct sun for a few months. the more of them you can do the better chances you have of some of them taking.

when you start seeing new growth you know it's got new roots to support the new leaves.

i think the challenge is to keep them damp and cool enough if your weather gets pretty hot where you are at. you don't want them to dry out.

i've never done this myself, but i have done it with other plants and have varied results.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
What FB said. I'll just add a bit.

It's best to take several rounds of cuttings about a week apart, because the optimum window for rooting can vary. Keeping them moist constantly can be a challenge, so a lot of people reccommend useing sharp sand and some sort of container that drains well with a cover to keep the humidity up. They should have developed pretty good roots by about 8 weeks.

I have read that a 50% success rate is about average, so take more cuttings than you think you'll need.
Good luck Moxie, let us know how it goes. I am planning on doing the same with 3 of my clematis this summer.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far. I only have the potting shed to do my plants in, and it seems to hold its own so far. I have 2 varieties of clems, and hate to just leave them for the future ex to mow them over.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know people are going to frown on this but I've always rooted in water on the windowsill with great success. Cut halfway between a node and put cut end in water, change water if needed, I don't even use rooting hormone :hide.
Annette

I would never frown on any garden advice that came from you Annette.
Sometimes basic is best, and I will try it this way. Thanks! :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know people are going to frown on this but I've always rooted in water on the windowsill with great success. Cut halfway between a node and put cut end in water, change water if needed, I don't even use rooting hormone :hide.
Annette

why would i frown upon someone who's actually done what was asked? :)

Latest posts