Climbing roses

Christina E.

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have a climbing rose. It was great the first 2 years I planted it. This year, it is not doing so great, and Iwas thinking it could have been the harsh winter we had here in New England. I think I may need to trim it, but I am not really sure how or when to do it. Any advice?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not answering that one. My rose garden is a gardening disgrace. I know the cold weather can wreak havoc on roses, depending upon the hardiness. I suspect you are a zone 6 so your colder than normal winter could certainly be at fault.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Look up Paul Zimmerman on YouTube. He has a series of videos and explains in plain English how and why to prune. Very informative without talking over your head or getting bogged down in technicalities. He really knows his stuff and how to communicate it.

I know he has a website too.

I watched his series of videos when I was trying to resurrect the roses we had at work that had been neglected for about 10yrs.

Hope this helps

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
All roses need spring pruning. Cut it back if it is doing poorly. July 4th is usually the cutoff date for fertilizing in Ma. I would add a bit of lime and perhaps some light manure now to invigorate it for the winter. Fertilize in the spring for next year.

Christina E.

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thank you @catjac1975. It definitely needs some pruning as it looks awful right now. It bloomed in the early summer (when it should have), but now has lost all of its leaves and some of the branches look dead.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
It should be pruned after bloom. If it looks dead you probably have fungus. I am organic but not for roses. There are easy to use systemic insecticide/fungicide that you can get anywhere. As long as they are not near edibles they are OK to use. Not my first choice but, easy.

Christina E.

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
It should be pruned after bloom. If it looks dead you probably have fungus. I am organic but not for roses. There are easy to use systemic insecticide/fungicide that you can get anywhere. As long as they are not near edibles they are OK to use. Not my first choice but, easy.

I'm new with roses. I have a purple rose bush that is small that did very well this year, and a magenta colored one (i wish I new the names!) the climbing rose is red. I'll snap a photo to show you what that one looks like.

Latest posts