Clip on lamps for seeds ?

Wind Notes & Butterflies

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have several types of seeds I want to start and I have problems every year with not enough light.
They can get leggy and fall over or just seem to wither and I believe it's a light problem.
I sit the seeds at my back window some do okay but not that many.

I was wondering if I could use those clip on lights with florescent bulbs for light.
I believe this will solve the problem as i can place them over the trays.

Will this solve my problem?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This is exactly what I do! Its cheap and it covers a LOT of my seeds for me. Great when I have multi-level carts.

Go for it!

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Fred meyer in our area has decent shop light fixtures for 13 bucks each. Pick up a pack of T8 cool white or wide spectrum lamps at home depot (for some reason fred meyer here does not sell proper lights for their offered fixture), and you'll have lots of lighting.

This is my set up:
230_img_2097.jpg

Gives me short stocky plants. A fan to move air over seedlings after they get a few sets of true leaves also helps stiffen them up.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Clip on lights are what I use. I also use desk lamps I got at garage sales and even an old DHL sigh with the front taken off and aluminum foil in the back.

175w eq or a couple of 100w eq compact florescent bulbs work great. I have better luck with those than the long tubes.

I have been taking pics of my starts and my various bulb set ups. Once I get them uploaded I will post a link.

Wind Notes & Butterflies

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks so much I was hoping I could use these and I will get the bulbs you suggested Wifezilla
For the first year i won't have those lanky transplants.

This is my first time being here on this forum and everyone is so nice and helpful :rainbow-sun

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wind Notes & Butterflies said:
Thanks so much I was hoping I could use these and I will get the bulbs you suggested Wifezilla

This is my first time being here on this forum and everyone is so nice and helpful :rainbow-sun
BTW :welcome

Wind Notes & Butterflies

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
vfem said:
Wind Notes & Butterflies said:

BTW :welcome
:rose Thank You