Close encounters

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I spent a lot of hours outside today, cleaning up and hauling stuff around with the quad. The dogs spent the time following me and catching the balls I tossed for them.

Came in this afternoon and had a shower ( yaay! New water heater! ) and heard the dogs making a ruckus. It was an urgent sound and I hurried to get dressed. Heard my son outside yelling and looked out the window to see little Wren out in the road and a large something running into the property opposite with Gator in pursuit.

Then the "dog" seemed to be jumping on a small tree and there was more hollering and I saw Gator running again. I realized what I saw was a coyote, and when I finally got outside and got the dogs into the garage, I saw that Gator must have connected with him because his back was all slobbery! Fortunately he wasn't injured. If DS hadn't been out there to run interference something worse would have likely happened.

Gator has never been much for coyote pursuits. When they are vocal he heads for his doghouse. I wonder if he's bolder because he's protecting Wren.

Night before last I totally bolted out of bed because of a cat scream, dog yelp and unrecognizable sounds outside my window. When I got outside with the floodlight Gator was frantically racing around the lawn with his hackles up and his nose to the grass. We had obviously had coyote visitors.

My husband told me that one day last week when he pulled out of the driveway a "yote had ran across the road from our property, and a few weeks before that we had one slinking around behind the chicken pen.

They are getting way too familiar with our property and our animals. We're on the alert now and staying prepared for battle.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Keep the little ones in, and the chickens protected!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thistle', I had neighbors with a large dog when I lived in your neck of the woods.

He was half St. Bernard and half collie. He looked like a Saint but had an easy movement to him. Laddie was a good dog and I enjoyed him visiting, which he would do on his own. He got around a lot on his own, until the coyotes caught him.

He must have just barely made it home. I saw him there and he never quite recovered. He was one scarred-up dog. Big but they must have ganged up on him.

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have open season on coyotes year round here. They're probably coming to check out your chickens. Can you shoot them?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh no! I thought you saw another moose... I hope your coop is like fort knox, and that your pups stay safe. Time to go hunting.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I notice Thistle has not yet posted this morning. She may be resting up after a night of vigilance and Coyote shooting.

Shall we take odds on how many coyotes they got last night?

My guess is 2

What's your guess on how many coyotes they got last night? Remember, Thistle is a very determined person.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought it was another moose also. Who is little Wren, Thistle? Now, you have a hard job to do keeping your dog and other animals safe. Hope you can get those coyotes.

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I might be putting a little rock salt into some moose hide, too.

:/

Lost chickens to coyote ~ shot coyote, chickens still lost.

Steve
Little Wren is a dainty little stock dog. Her protector will get himself killed without some people help.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hope your dog had a rabies shot. It should also have a booster shot now. Around here they would also treat any humans that touched the slobbered dog. A child on Cape Cod Ma died of rabies this past year. The skin does not have to be opened for an infection to take place. Coyotes are very smart and stay away from humans. I would be concerned with the unusual behavior. I would get advice from local officials to be safe.