Close encounters

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep, yep, and yep.

Coyotes are always in season. Gun by the back door. Definitely no prisoners Collector! Chickens are locked up tight at night, but are loose in their pen during the day. And I don't kid myself about a coyotes ability to jump or climb just about any barrier. The dogs are inside at night, although sometimes Gator seems to prefer the dog run at night, he can push the gate open to get in or out if it isn't latched. But from here on out he'll at least be in the garage at night.

The dogs are always in the dog run when I'm not home, but loose in the yard when we're here. Just need to keep watch and an ear open, they have a distinct bark if it's moose or coyote.

DH went out and spent several hours sitting and watching in hiding to see if it would come back, but it didn't.
The trouble is coyotes are hard to hunt around here because they have been educated by so many people calling them in, and not getting shot.

Cat, the dogs are up on their shots. This isn't unusual behavior for a coyote, they are habituated to people. Seeing them in the daylight is very common.

According to scuttlebutt from a second party source who spoke to a first party who spoke to the DNR :p the coyotes are coming in closer because of the wolf pressure. Wolves eat coyotes. A lot of game animals are also being more of a presence in inhabitated areas because of the wolves. My tax lady has eight elk cows living on her property right now. Along with about twenty deer.

And you're right Steve, the moose need to be discouraged from hanging around.

This is Wren:

7504_march2013_007.jpg

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Aww, what a nice picture of your doggie. :love What a view, too! I used to take my dogs hiking when they were younger. It was nice to be able to let them loose and they thoroughly enjoyed themselves.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's the lookout on the Boy Scout trail above Farragut State Park. That's the south end of Lake Pend d'Orielle in the background,
Buttonhook Bay. It's one of our favorite short hikes.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Coyotes are one of my biggest fears, my fence is only 4 feet high ez for a coyote to get over. Because of the very strict gun laws, they have never been hunted. A coyote thats never been hunted has no fear. Kids playing in their own yards have been attacked here.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Someone told me a little while back that they've gotten so bad here in Dinwiddie that there is a bounty on them.
I've never seen one however.

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
thistle, I hope that fact that the coyotes were challanged a bit will keep them at bay or that you will get a good shot at them. Before we got our LGD's, we had coyotes in the middle of the day come into our pasture with our cows and go and sit about 15 feet away from our chicken house. (All this with our old man black lab sitting on the porch about 70 feet away) :rolleyes:. Sometimes the steer would chase it out of the field, sometimes the farmer would take care of it.

Now that we have our LGD's, all last summer and fall they chased and barked. Towards the end of fall, the coyotes must have felt it wasn't worth the aggrevation and they moved on. They stayed away through the end of fall and through most of the winter. They came back for a few days in March. The dogs were right back to the barking (as they happened to be secured when the coyotes were yipping) and it only took two days of that before the coyotes moved on again. Haven't heard them in about a month.

They are in my opinion, "thugs of the woods". Oportunistic, but cowardly if alone and challenged. In a pack...well that's another story. Just like human thugs.

Glad you dogs are alive and well!

Latest posts