Clover.... I'm confused

WildBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I would like to use clover as a cover crop near or in my chicken coop. Is the clover used as livestock feed and everything a different type from the stuff on the lawn? Do they both work? Are they both nutritious for chickens and rabbits?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are different kinds of clover, let alone different varieties. Some are annual and some perennial though in Idaho what might be a perennial for me might be an annual for you. They are all going to be good for chickens and rabbits.

You mention using it as a cover crop. When I think of a cover crop I think of something you turn under as green manure before you plant your crop. For that I'd want an annual so it dies when you turn it under instead of growing from the roots. If you are planning on forage or harvesting it for your chickens or rabbits you might want a perennial variety. This is one where local knowledge might be important to get the variety right. I'd suggest contacting your county extension office and chat with them about what you want to do.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the types that have stolons (runners, viney, etc) can survive a fair amount of abuse so it depends upon how much you will manage the chickens access to the area where they are grown. it may be a good idea to plan the area for some rotation so that it can recover.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Another benefit of crimson clover is that it does not spread by runners. And it's very pretty. ;)
There are fields and fields of crimson clover in Northern OR. Gorgeous right now. They grow it for the seeds. Its an annual.

And I'm old enuf to remember the song "Crimson and Clover" by Tommy James, 1968.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Clover is excellent to plant. Whether is it annual or perennial, it USED to be in all grass seed mixtures. It is returning to many mixes bc where it gets too hot and your grass burns out, the clover stays green.
I always know when my horses are eating a lot of clover bc they drool. :drool

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried eating the roots, leaves, or flowers of springbank clover? I read that the roots taste like Chinese bean sprouts when cooked!

Latest posts