Clover.... I'm confused

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried eating the roots, leaves, or flowers of springbank clover? I read that the roots taste like Chinese bean sprouts when cooked!

interesting! it isn't local to this area so i've not seen it before in the wild or been able to try it out. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Trifolium wormskioldii ... I had to look that up, @Dahlia .

Learned something! I even saw one of those plants blooming recently and have always just assumed they they were some type of red clover escaped from a hayfield. And yet, it's alfalfa grown around here for hay (and that escapes and grows as an invasive ;)).

A native clover of the West. Wow!

Steve

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried eating the roots, leaves, or flowers of springbank clover? I read that the roots taste like Chinese bean sprouts when cooked!
I recognize the plant (native Californian here) but never thought to eat it. hmmm. Are you going to grow some to try out?

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I recognize the plant (native Californian here) but never thought to eat it. hmmm. Are you going to grow some to try out?
I plan to try it out next time I see some! 😊 I've seen it grow wild in the PNW here and there. I am a native Californian too! I grew up in the Bay Area. I wasn't much of a gardener or forager back then, but here in the PNW I can't help myself but be into plants!

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I plan to try it out next time I see some! 😊 I've seen it grow wild in the PNW here and there. I am a native Californian too! I grew up in the Bay Area. I wasn't much of a gardener or forager back then, but here in the PNW I can't help myself but be into plants!
Small world!! 😄

I was surprised to see a place just now, Northwest Meadowscapes that sells seed. They also carry gumweed which I've been curious about as a medicinal.

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Small world!! 😄

I was surprised to see a place just now, Northwest Meadowscapes that sells seed. They also carry gumweed which I've been curious about as a medicinal.
Meadow,
If you learn more about gumweed I'd be curious what you find out! I heard some people used it to treat a cough. I don't really know anything about it.

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Meadow,
If you learn more about gumweed I'd be curious what you find out! I heard some people used it to treat a cough. I don't really know anything about it.
The extent of my 'knowledge' about gumweed comes from this Herbs with Rosalee article/video (article includes transcript and a recipe card):

Grindelia with Lisa Ganora

Lisa Ganora is very informative about making herbal preparations.

Latest posts