1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Help for this member with her Peach tree - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

coffee grounds - too much of a good thing?

Discussion in 'Composting & Soil Building' started by mitch landen, May 10, 2019.

1. May 13, 2019
    flowerbug

flowerbug Garden Addicted

it may take several seasons to evaluate, but worth a shot if you have the space and time.

you can also try doing various things with it to see what happens.

2. May 13, 2019
    bobm

bobm Garden Addicted

Years ago, after I read up on how the indians used to bury fish and other meat wastes in their gardens as fertilizer. So, I used to bury intestines, heads, hides, feathers after I butchered chickens , rabbits, sheep, game birds / animals. Invariably, within a day or two, coyotes, racoons, possums, bob cats would smell a free meal and dig up the remains and generally make a mess out of the garden. Our across the street neighbor raises sheep. A coyote killed a ewe, so the next morning he burried the carcass 4 feet under using a backhoe. By the following morning , the coyotes had dug up the carcass and made a meal of it . He then took what was left to a rendering plant. Good luck ! :idunno

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    flowerbug and Ridgerunner like this.
  3. May 13, 2019
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Garden Master

I also buried offal from butchering chickens in an orchard or inside my garden fence. Something dug it up in the orchard one time so after that I covered it with 2" x 4" welded wire, held down by pavers. I think it was neighbor's dogs but it could have been coyotes. The wire solved that problem. I never had a problem inside my fenced garden but I made sure to bury the stuff where I would not be digging anytime soon. I made that mistake as a kid, digging something up a couple of weeks after I buried it. Somehow I haven't been able to totally forget that.

Bob, I would have thought 4' deep would be enough but I guess it doesn't pay to underestimate some critters.

flowerbug likes this.
  4. May 13, 2019
    flowerbug

that's the joy of living in different areas. i've buried, wild turkeys, possums, raccoons, groundhogs, rabbits, etc. never had a one of them disturbed.

ninnymary likes this.
  5. May 15, 2019
    ducks4you

ducks4you Garden Master

East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
    Still not gonna bury meat. DO you KNOW how good a dog's nose is and how determined they are to dig up what they smell?

seedcorn and flowerbug like this.
  6. May 15, 2019
    flowerbug

well sure, we've had dogs before - not here but as a kid those years ago.