• NEVER

• Interesting

• It works

• Never tried it

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thistle, what's not to like about hot wire? it's extremely effective and it's extremely safe. Since it pulses whatever touches it can turn loose so you are not going to harm the animal. Once shocked, the animal tends to learn pretty quickly to stay away. And there is something really satisfying about a certain shocked sound some animals make when they do discover it.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
My father always put used coffee grounds around the plant. I remember reading to stop cats from using house plants as litterbox put old type snap mouse traps around container (make sure little ones for mice not large rat trap) I don't remember if it was the noise of snap or or bar coming down on toes. Worth a try think dollar store as 2 pack for a buck.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love to use the coffee grounds in my compost bin. I get them from our local coffee place. It's the only thing that gets my compost hot. I've never tried it around plants though.

Mary

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I put coffee grounds around my blueberry, azalea, rhododendron, and hydrangeas. Don't know how well they work, but coffee grounds are supposed to make the soil more acidic. Certainly can't hurt.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
You'll get more acidity if you pour your cup of Joe around your plants. The used grounds aren't much for acid, but the earthworms love them and that's a good thing.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
All of my coffee grounds go to the garden. I put them in coffee cans during the winter if I can't get to the compost, or sometimes just throw them on a garden. My hosta gardens will get a bunch this year, sprinkled and worked in a bit. It could tie up nitrogen while it decomposes, so not to overdo.

I think for deterring slugs, it creates a dry suface the slugs don't like. Never tried it but I imagine it would work.

Interesting, adding it to seed starter.. what are the benefits or purpose?

Latest posts