• NEVER

• Interesting

• It works

• Never tried it

Results are only viewable after voting.

ChickenMomma91

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Quote from Mother Earth Living "With a high carbon-to-nitrogen ratio (almost 20:1), used coffee grounds will release nutrients, including nitrogen, potassium, and phosphorus, into the surrounding soil as they break down."

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Great things in the right amount... sounds like a good experiment. U of MN Extension

I know my roses like it! I work a couple 'pots worth' around them every other year or so, when I remember to throw them in there. That's kindof how I garden. :confused:

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
We now have a Keurig, mostly for our vacation renters. But DH uses those pods and I have a refillable pod. All that coffee goes into the compost pail and if that is full, I flick my fingers on the pod or the refill pod to put the coffee on house plants, my deck pots, and etc etc. Never waste grounds!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
We had a long thread about this on Sufficient Self about 5 years ago. Our conclusion was that it added some plant nutrition but did a better job of loosening the soil you mixed it with. Either way, I dump the used grounds and the paper filter in my gardens.
DD's lived together the last year of our youngest's Law School, now back with us again. They said it was SOOOO hard to throw away the stuff I used for gardening or fed to my animals. :lol:

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had a long thread about this on Sufficient Self about 5 years ago. Our conclusion was that it added some plant nutrition but did a better job of loosening the soil you mixed it with. Either way, I dump the used grounds and the paper filter in my gardens.
DD's lived together the last year of our youngest's Law School, now back with us again. They said it was SOOOO hard to throw away the stuff I used for gardening or fed to my animals. :lol:

As it should be.