Coffee.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
In that case, coffee could live outside most of the year. I have a tunnel greenhouse frame that is on my someday list to get set up. I could have coffee plants!

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I must say it is a very attractive plant. I found an image online of one flowering; they are supposed to smell like jasmine. I do not expect to be roasting coffee beans anytime soon, so don't sell your Starbucks stock. I just gave one to a friend moving to Florida, so I am waiting to see what he can do with it in that climate.

coffee flowers.jpg

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
The friend in Florida that I gave the plant to just wrote that it is doing great. I also gave him a fig tree, so I suppose he will have figs all over the place next year.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought I would share my experience with growing a coffee plant in case anyone is growing, or intends to grow, a plant. The plant was tiny when I got it, but a very nice healthy green. After several weeks the leaves began to turn yellow and pale. No amount of fertilizer would solve the problem, so I tried adding iron, with no improvement. As a last resort, I added acid and the plant showed some improvement. Then, I added a lot more acid and the plant took off. I thought they needed shady conditions, however, when I placed it in the greenhouse recently I gave it full sun. The plant has responded by increasing the size of its leaves tremendously. When I bring it indoors for the winter I intend to place it under a LED grow light in warm conditions.

View attachment 17050
What beautiful leaves!

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Coffee prefers a temperature from 60 to 75F and is very sensitive to cold and frost, with the latter destroying both leaves and fruit. That said, it was outdoors all summer and the temperature varied way beyond that range. Presently it is in the greenhouse chilling with the olives, with the temperature in the 40s. I did notice a bottom leaf that does not look happy, so I think I will move it indoors soon. The olives can take temperatures to about 28 F or so, but I don't like the temperature to get that low. I hold off on the heat for as long as possible.

as much coffee as we drink looks like it's forgers here..... nice job jackb

Latest posts