Coffee

GottaGo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Part of my MIA time was spent with a pinched nerve and degenerative disk problems in my back. Extreme pain in the lower back and into the left leg, had me hobbling around like Quasimoto. Had surgery December 15, and got the all clear from the surgeon this morning. I timed surgery intentionally so I should be healed come Spring, and here I am!! While I'll likely still avoid certain activities, gardening is not one of them. 3 cups of coffee = 7 trips to the loo, just saying....

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
They sound yummy, but beans are full of carbs and off the list. No Southern peas either. :tongue

It usually doesn’t take long to shed the pounds and I can go back to my slovenly ways. Since I’m so active, it takes all year to put the weight back on. :gig
Depends upon how you look at it. Yes, KETO people are against beans. Of the 40% “carbs” in beans is that 15% of the 40% is fiber. (Don’t understand why fiber (undigestable) is considered a carb). Most of the carbs are slow released in the large intestine which does not injest carbs into the body. I eat them due to their ability to reduce sugar spikes and avoid potatoes and bleached flour products because of their ability to spike blood sugar. Potatoes, wheat flour, sugar are poison to most Americans-which is why obesity is #1 killer.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
hobbling around like Quasimoto
There you are with one of my problems.

Years ago, I was sent to the surgeon on doing something about the disks. No go with the surgeon - history of rheumatoid arthritis.

Years later he said he could do something about the pain but that had lessened so much that it didn't make much sense to me. A second opinion from another surgeon was in agreement. Of course, that had come with the nearly complete loss of the sciatic nerve function. Beside the lessening of pain was the lessening of RA problems. A little late.

Take Good Care, GottaGo.

Quasimoto digitS'

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
It's that stupid argument that don't eat fruit bc of it's natural sugar, or beans bc of carbs, even though beans are so nutritious.
I make a lot of vinegar slaw, and yes, it has sugar. What is healthier, the vinegar slaw or potato chips?
My slaw has cabbage, onions and carrots and I like to keep it in my fridge for snacking.
DH has it right. Keep a notebook, write down EVERYTHING you put in your mouth, and count the calories. Eat low calorie/healthy snacks so you aren't starving, and eat small bits of things like brownies that you love.
Weigh yourself 1x/week. Accept 1-2 pounds/month and understand that it took time to put it on, and will take time to take it off.
Don't deprive yourself!
DD's and I noticed that "January only" people at the gym. Won't see them in May bc they will have given up.
We have a 2 evening routine and sometimes we skip portions, but we GO anyway.
Gyms count on people who sign up and pay and don't go.
I am rooting for you @baymule!! :hugs

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was talking to one of my brother's yesterday (my baby one) and he's been at LEAST 100 lbs overweight. Now that he's retired from High Tech, he's going to lose weight. He's lost 8 lbs in the last two weeks by logging in all the calories and walking 60 min a day around his San Jose neighborhood. I'm very very proud of my baby bro!!

GottaGo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
There you are with one of my problems.

Years ago, I was sent to the surgeon on doing something about the disks. No go with the surgeon - history of rheumatoid arthritis.

Years later he said he could do something about the pain but that had lessened so much that it didn't make much sense to me. A second opinion from another surgeon was in agreement. Of course, that had come with the nearly complete loss of the sciatic nerve function. Beside the lessening of pain was the lessening of RA problems. A little late.

Take Good Care, GottaGo.

Quasimoto digitS'
Ouch. I wonder sometimes, if the pain has actually lessened, or have we become kind of numb to it?

Mine situation was two-pronged. A nerve was 'snagged' (surgeon's official technical term) while my degenerative discs, signs of arthritis, along with scoliosis were collaborating to make life miserable. I've got two out of three functioning for the moment, but the surgeon did say that a repeat may be likely because of continuing degeneration and the scoliosis. Oh, yay.

Be kind to yourself.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just finished second cup of coffee. I’m preparing myself for an anti-hibernation diet to shed a few pounds. After therapy this morning, I’ve got a couple errands to run, get oil changed in my car, and shop for some groceries. Then it will be meat/vegetables diet. No sugar. :barnie No/low carbs.:barnie:barnie:barnie Worst of all-NO BROWNIES!:thNONE! I had my last fling last night, brownie in a cup.:lol:
I slowed my weight loss down. I have to get back at it and I can't wait for fresh vegetables from the garden.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Coffee is ready! I got to go to Rusk this morning, 1 hour away, to get feed. My favorite brand is no longer available locally. Cost of freight has driven price up. The feed the store offers now is sub standard, lower protein. They open at 7:30, I’ll be there! I’ll do chores when I get back.