Coffee

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@baymule ,God Bless you for feeding your critters Right!!
Some decades ago there was talk about saving money by feeding sawdust to livestock!!
Garbage in, garbage out.
I am buying another whole cow. My friend/cattle rancher feeds grass (hay right now, of course), then tops off with corn 2 weeks before slaughter.
Best beef we have ever had!
We aren't out of the first batch yet, so maybe there will be a Sauerbraten, but honestly the beef available in the store that is tough is better suited.
We still have extras.
Since I started making broth after I picked the 1st steer up, I will see if they will sell me extra bones from their locker this time.
Coffee with more leftover stuffed pepper stuffing and a slice of sourdough, toasted.

Last edited:

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I found a clearance piece of tough meat a couple weeks ago. for $8. I soaked it in homemade sauerbraten marinade for four days, then slow cooked. It was delish!

Now the spaetle and the cabbage were not that great....But the gravy made with the marinade which cooked all day WAS tasty!!!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you Steve! I do take good care of my animals, they eat pretty darn good. I bought a 3-string bale of alfalfa for $35, it weighed 110 pounds. I couldn’t lift it, so I dragged it off the tailgate onto my wagon, then flipped it off the wagon onto a pallet covered with feed sacks. Reina the horse gets some twice a day, after her pellets. She gets Nutrena Performance feed, high protein and high fat, 2 1/2 pounds twice daily. It’s expensive, put its putting the weight back on her.

I bought 20 bags of 14% for the sheep this morning. They also get a little alfalfa. The sheep get free choice Bahia hay and pasture, but there isn’t much grass this time of year. I couldn’t get cuties like these if I didn’t take care of their mommas!

ECC01178-3729-4EAA-9333-0E1BAF3DE305.jpeg

7AF70013-90CD-49A3-BD20-D5353E7884E8.jpeg

CEFA5C86-D2ED-45C7-999B-DBC32AF74D34.jpeg

Country Homesteader

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That snapshot of the black and white/yin and yang lambs has got to be submitted for picture of the week--wonderful!
I agree with that. If it doesn't go to POW it's still got my vote hands down.
I'm so glad I was able to finally get on here seeing how I was :he:barnie:rant:duc because I couldn't catch up on the news all weekend .
GOOD MORNING!!! Have a HAPPY wonderful blessed work week! Coffee is ready and hot so come get you some

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Any time TEG, SS and/or BYH is down, go to BYC in the top forum sections and you’ll usually be able to find out what is going on- and find a few of us.

Finished second cup, little bit left. Then wait on daylight, feed horse and sheep, doctor horse’s eye, check on puppy, and skedaddle to my last therapy session. Then home, hitch trailer for vet horse appointment at 1:00.

Plus rain to make it all more fun. And mud and slop. And more rain. I need Noah’s Ark.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Coffee with raisin bran, Pyg gets the milk AFTER I triple check for any raisins!
20 mph wind chill, so, ponies will stay inside most of the day.
I have a short closing at 1PM, then home to kick out and spot clean stalls.
ALL of this takes some coffee to give your courage to attack the day.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Coffee is ready! I got to go to Rusk this morning, 1 hour away, to get feed. My favorite brand is no longer available locally. Cost of freight has driven price up. The feed the store offers now is sub standard, lower protein. They open at 7:30, I’ll be there! I’ll do chores when I get back.
Aren't they also talking about chicken feed and a couple of the big companies taking out the amount of protein and the chickens stopped laying eggs? My brother was telling me about it, but I have not read any of the news articles about it.

Latest posts