Coffee

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
View attachment 42120

I'm curious. @Marie2020 says she is a coffee drinker. I know that is common in the UK. Are you also a tea drinker, Marie?

Is that drink confined to an afternoon break, teatime?

I would be very disappointed with having to give up either but I've somewhat reversed the order, I suppose. Especially, the doctor's order for me to give up coffee. I start my day with tea. It never seems to upset my stomach.

Coffee is for later after I have eaten and for an afternoon break. More food :).

Steve

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
View attachment 42120

I'm curious. @Marie2020 says she is a coffee drinker. I know that is common in the UK. Are you also a tea drinker, Marie?

Is that drink confined to an afternoon break, teatime?

I would be very disappointed with having to give up either but I've somewhat reversed the order, I suppose. Especially, the doctor's order for me to give up coffee. I start my day with tea. It never seems to upset my stomach.

Coffee is for later after I have eaten and for an afternoon break. More food :).

Steve
Yes I really enjoy a cup of tea. It's only the last six months I've taken to coffee a little more regularly.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i've gotten out of the habit of drinking either but hot chocolate is on my mind once in a while. i almost made some last night when my attempt to make chocolate milk out of hot chocolate mix didn't work out quite as well as i'd hoped, but i ended up just drinking it cold anyways with a spoon to scoop the foamy dry chunks of hot chocolate mix off the top... i told Mom i should have used the chocolate syrup we have instead and she agreed and then she just shook her head. :)

Triffid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I find it interesting that tea means so many different things depending on the person or situation. Bagged or loose-leaf only; an infusion of fresh peppermint; Earl Grey with a slice of lemon; a blood red hibiscus and berry brew that infiltrates your mind with intrusive thoughts of randomly tripping over nothing, and freak accidents involving the mug handle spontaneously falling off while you walk over the carpet; chamomile and honey to calm yourself after the berry tea trauma; matcha that is only used for making ice cream twice a decade; a dark builders' brew with 3 sugars and half a biscuit lost to the bottom. But coffee is always coffee.

I mostly drink black tea with milk, no sugar. It's nice to have the other tea families available but the only type I think about longingly several times a day is the dark milky stuff. I guess that classifies it as a habit. Drinking a cup of Yorkshire tea right now. A small coffee is nice after an evening meal. There's no way I could drink it in the same quantity as tea.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I find it interesting that tea means so many different things depending on the person or situation. Bagged or loose-leaf only; an infusion of fresh peppermint; Earl Grey with a slice of lemon; a blood red hibiscus and berry brew that infiltrates your mind with intrusive thoughts of randomly tripping over nothing, and freak accidents involving the mug handle spontaneously falling off while you walk over the carpet; chamomile and honey to calm yourself after the berry tea trauma; matcha that is only used for making ice cream twice a decade; a dark builders' brew with 3 sugars and half a biscuit lost to the bottom. But coffee is always coffee.

I mostly drink black tea with milk, no sugar. It's nice to have the other tea families available but the only type I think about longingly several times a day is the dark milky stuff. I guess that classifies it as a habit. Drinking a cup of Yorkshire tea right now. A small coffee is nice after an evening meal. There's no way I could drink it in the same quantity as tea.

i get way way too jittery from caffiene but i used to drink a lot more teas (mainly loose leaf as i called it swamp water when i made it :) ). i had a nice collection that i kept stocked up for those long evenings stuck working in front of the computer screen during the depths of winter.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Bad coffee Does taste burnt.
Ground in the can/bag that you buy is, like dry dog food, "shelf stable."
THAT means that it won't decompose and explode in the can.
It is also STALE.
If you can find good quality beans and grind them right before you brew, you can have a lovely tasty cup of coffee.
Apparently Dunkin' Doughnuts, McDonald's, and Pilot (travel gas stations) make the about the best coffee if you travel.
I have a drip machine with a timer, ready every morning bc the "maid made it" for me. :gig
DD's have a French Press, and I would like to try That, too.
Btw, I have ALWAYS drunk my coffee black.
DH puts cream and sugar in his. I make for Both of us, so I often water mine down a bit.
NOT a fan of expresso.
I store my beans in 7 canning jars with solid lids, not meant for vacuum sealing, and it includes 2 glass Ovaltine quart jars, bought before they went to plastic. One lid is yellow, one lid is orange.
DD intends to inherit them.
Many years ago Wifezilla and me had quite the discussion on coffee and tea on Sufficient Self.
Coffee beans can be stored frozen for up to 6 months.
Tea, if properly bagged, will outlive all of us.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I start my day with a cup of tea, since I was 18 yrs old. (I just started my SS checks this month).

I drink a cup of coffee later in the morning. Never have coffee any other time of day.
You my friend have been a great help to me lately as have several of the good people here. Thank you. :)

Last edited:

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Bad coffee Does taste burnt.
Ground in the can/bag that you buy is, like dry dog food, "shelf stable."
THAT means that it won't decompose and explode in the can.
It is also STALE.
If you can find good quality beans and grind them right before you brew, you can have a lovely tasty cup of coffee.
Apparently Dunkin' Doughnuts, McDonald's, and Pilot (travel gas stations) make the about the best coffee if you travel.
I have a drip machine with a timer, ready every morning bc the "maid made it" for me. :gig
DD's have a French Press, and I would like to try That, too.
Btw, I have ALWAYS drunk my coffee black.
DH puts cream and sugar in his. I make for Both of us, so I often water mine down a bit.
NOT a fan of expresso.
I store my beans in 7 canning jars with solid lids, not meant for vacuum sealing, and it includes 2 glass Ovaltine quart jars, bought before they went to plastic. One lid is yellow, one lid is orange.
DD intends to inherit them.
Many years ago Wifezilla and me had quite the discussion on coffee and tea on Sufficient Self.
Coffee beans can be stored frozen for up to 6 months.
Tea, if properly bagged, will outlive all of us.
I only have instant coffee here. As for cocoa that is powdered with claims of being organic I absolutely love this. I add milk too mix then add water with honey I find this really yummy.

I try not to have very milk because in a nut shell milk it is nothing like it used to be.
Channel island milk is heaps better than the other milk we have here, unlike the other milk goes off in about a week. Our old milk from days gone by would only last 2 days at most.

My instant granulal coffee is now put away for any visitors, such as garden helpers.

Latest posts