Coffee

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I sure don't understand why the survey. Are the pins no longer there? Maybe cus its 25 (?) acres, anytime something that big transacts, it had to be surveyed? Man oh man - huge cost for sure.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I sure don't understand why the survey. Are the pins no longer there? Maybe cus its 25 (?) acres, anytime something that big transacts, it had to be surveyed? Man oh man - huge cost for sure.
Because it's 25 acres cut out of a larger tract, which is several combined tracts and it all has to be straightened out for all the legal mumbo jumbo. The local guy has already delt with it when 10 acres was cut out for their daughter (since sold it) and has also dealt with tracts all around what I'm buying. The guy from Tyler wants to survey the whole danged place and then cut out my 25 acres, because he is not familiar with the area.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Having a deviled egg sandwich for my 2nd breakfast and reading this article:

Simple pleasures: climbing trees

Did you used to climb trees? Do you still?

i was climbing around some trees the other day using a ladder. i did climb some as a kid, but not really way up there in the big ones. after about 30ft it gets a bit too scary to me. :)

The utility guys are across the road. Apparently some real problems with the 40mph wind gusts, yesterday. In the afternoon, they were up in several trees and power poles. Today, they are back with the chipping machine ;).

those bucket hoist trucks are so nice to have instead of having to climb poles! :)

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Finally! More than 4 hours of sleep. Oh boy, what to do first?!

Any lawtube fans looking for Runkle's livestream after spending the day in court yesterday, he has re-uploaded it to Locals. I'm tired of this censorship nonsense. I guess Ms. Heard is none too happy. I imagine the rest of lawtube will be finding other outlets too. I think Rekeita Law is also on Rumble (and James, also in court yesterday [the fellow seen grinning behind the podium when the T-bomb was first dropped], was on Rekieta's livestream late in the day).

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Having a deviled egg sandwich for my 2nd breakfast and reading this article:

The utility guys are across the road. Apparently some real problems with the 40mph wind gusts, yesterday. In the afternoon, they were up in several trees and power poles. Today, they are back with the chipping machine ;).
One of my cherry trees seems to be a Great kid climbing tree.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Screenshot_20220521-060735_kindlephoto-47426757.png

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

I really couldn't climb trees as a kid, and not because I was too overweight to do it. On our property, most of the trees are either hemlocks or very old oaks*, both of which had too much height up before one could find a branch (plus, hemlocks don't exactly have particularly sturdy wide branches to grab onto anyway. And I'd be REALLY impressed at ANY kid who could manage to get up 80 feet with no handholds, which most of the oaks would require).

The only really suitable climbing tree on our property was the Japanese Maple in the front yard, and THAT was already so weakened at the fork that there was no way it could hold anyone's weight (it could barely handle the cat's weight).

And recently, the only tree I ever WANTED to climb was that crabapple with the good tasting fruit. And even if I WAS fit enough to do that, it's straight up as well more or less, so I'd need crampons and a safety belt (the space is too restricted to bring in a ladder).

* SO old that one of them had actually developed one of those huge "onion bulb" bases really old oaks can. You know how I sometimes refer to one of the garden plots as "The Stump"? THAT is where that oak tree was (when it had to come down, we used the hollow stump as a planter until it rotted away.)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My climbing tree was down the road ;).

The trees on our property were appreciated. The weeping willow was in the corner of the rose garden and overhung the pasture fence. The cows would hang out in the shade on that side. I mean, I hung out enuf with the cows as it was.

I liked the walnuts and they were attractive trees. Unfortunately, they attracted aphids and things were kinda sticky around them. The apple tree was right outside the bedroom windows and just off the porch that surrounded the living room. If I wanted any kind of privacy, that wasn't the right place; besides, if I had damaged that tree, I'd have been in trouble :(.

So, I'd trot off down our driveway, which must have been over 100 yards. Then, there was a big weeping willow about another 100 yards coming up on the far bank of the drainage ditch, off the road. It wasn't much of a road, gravel. There were 3 homes along in there on suburban size lots but I was on the other side of the road from them and beside pasture land much like ours. Nice view of our field and the neighbor's.

I carried boards down across the handle bars of my bike and built a platform about 15 feet up. No ladder or rope to give the location away. I remember being surprised how comfortable and level my deck was. There was room for me and my friend Greg who lived about the same distance further down the road.

:) Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good Morning.

DW made "refrigerator" rolls. Since the dough stays in the fridge overnight (saves on kneading ;)), that is a 12 hour process. Then, she didn't mention that I should check the oven until they were over-cooked. No problem, I have 2 cut up and in a bowl of milk for breakfast.

The greenhouse heat is on and some things stayed outdoors last night anticipating a run to the distant garden. It's only 35°f (2°C) out there at 4:30 and just a few degrees warmer here at home. The plants need the  room, the forecast shows warming and a little more rain later, and today may be the warmest for awhile.

These mornings in the 30's are 10° cooler than normal so I have to hope that some moderating will occur at some point in time. Now, that we are already 2 weeks late.

Lettuce, cabbage, kale ... On (covered) deck. Will wait until I can open the greenhouse to OK outdoor temperatures then off we go for the afternoon.

Steve :)

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is 64 right now and will be 40 tonight. My plants are staying out. I have to get sprinkler hooked up on the garden to water the few things out there. I am going to start putting peppers and tomatoes in the ground in the next couple of days. Trying to get a little energy to go plant the carrots.

Latest posts