Coffee

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Take the medication! It can save your life!
Do you need a pacemaker? My oldest friend from 2nd grade had a problem twice and then once at the Dr office. He had a pacemaker put in that afternoon. Like Bay is experiencing, they sent him home that late afternoon.
No, my heart is fine, it is the blood clots and no idea why other than the first time. I will take the blood thinner, but I am going to lose weight and get healthier. My heart rhythm is fine and heart strong to take all this.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Currently drinking a cup of decaf with a new creamer. I don’t particularly like it but it’s not horrible for the amount of calories. Been trying to lose some weight so I’ve been drinking a lot of tea and coffee lately.

it's not easy to get away from some things. sugar and creamers in coffee and tea i pretty much avoid now by not having them (aside from the caffiene which i should avoid anyways).

losing extra weight for me comes down to mostly knowing what gets me into a binge or cravings. i found out i can really enjoy a large bowl of cole slaw if i mix it up with different dressings and some things added in small amounts (diced fresh onions, raisins, bacon, sunflower seeds, peanuts, diced ham, braunschwieger, hot sauce, vinegars, etc).
what i like though is that by the time i'm done with a big bowl of it i'm exhausted from all the chewing and that it takes me a while to eat it so i feel like i've accomplished something and whatever oral fixation i might have had has been squished into oblivion. :)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
IMO, diets only work with a life style change. In past, I could lose it only to revert back to old ways and regain it. When faced with drugs for hi cholesterol, diabetes, weight gain, etc., I did a life style change. No sweetened liquids, whole wheat products, oatmeal, higher fiber foods as beans, vegetables, etc. I cheat with small slice of normal dessert once in a while now-otherwise I make my own with much less sugar, whole wheat flour and oatmeal.

Last check up 117/69, both cholesterol and blood sugar normal. Lost 40+ pounds (would like to lose another 10 but not bad enough to do it). Winter is the hardest as no garden to enjoy to burn calories while weeding plus Tday, Xmas, 1/1, Easter plus all family b’days.

Last edited:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
All my life I was built like a carpenter's dream, 2x4 and not a curve on me. Skinny. Then I married BJ at 40 and suddenly it was easy to gain weight, happiness will do that to you. :lol: Throw in menopause and wonky hormones and I hit 150 pounds. Before, I did good to make it to 120 pounds. Now I keep it to around 135, if I edge up close to 140, I get serious about food. Working outside a lot, keeps the weight down. I have a step counter on my phone, I try to make it to 3-4 miles daily, even dragging a bum knee around. It hurts anyway, so what the heck. I'm in resting mode now, trying to not wear myself out before upcoming knee replacement. THAT is going to cramp my style. But I'll get through it and be back to being active again.

We are all gardeners, healthy food, lots of vegetables and an active lifestyle puts us, as a group, way out in front of the majority.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used to gain 20# during the Winters.

That had to come to an end because I was sure that it wasn't healthy and it just made a more-active Spring more difficult for me to spring into! So, I began being more careful with my diet in the Winter but, that has carried over into the other seasons. Diet preferences carried over, not the extra weight, so much ;).

Yes, those easy to consume starch calories ... @seedcorn 's whole grain idea is a good one. I was just thinking this morning how much oatmeal we eat. DW apparently likes it better than most anything else for breakfast and, if she is up before me, has extra on the stove for my breakfast.

And sweets ... I suppose that I still have a sweet tooth but it is considerably less of a craving than in earlier years. Really! It must be a matter of habit -- many foods are just too sweet for me, these days. The same thing happened with me TRYING to put less salt of foods. Yes, I became accustomed to that and find that "over-salted" is not to my taste.

We are all gardeners, healthy food, lots of vegetables and an active lifestyle puts us, as a group, way out in front of the majority.
YES!

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
IMO, diets only work with a life style change. In past, I could lose it only to revert back to old ways and regain it. When faced with drugs for hi cholesterol, diabetes, weight gain, etc., I did a life style change. No sweetened liquids, whole wheat products, oatmeal, higher fiber foods as beans, vegetables, etc. I cheat with small slice of normal dessert once in a while now-otherwise I make my own with much less sugar, whole wheat flour and oatmeal.

Last check up 117/69, both cholesterol and blood sugar normal. Lost 40+ pounds (would like to lose another 10 but not bad enough to do it). Winter is the hardest as no garden to enjoy to burn calories while weeding plus Tday, Xmas, 1/1, Easter plus all family b’days.

all pretty much true for me too. winter is tougher than summer for all the reasons you mention plus when it is colder it is much easier to eat a lot more warm and very filling foods.

in the past we've kept the heat at a lower temperature but this year we'll be a bit warmer so i think that will also help keep me from wanting to eat more all the time. we'll see how it goes...

i know it's not all about calories, but it is also important to have some idea of your resting metabolism rate and how many calories you burn. an extra 100 calories a day for a month is an extra pound. which pretty much explains how easy it is to put on weight in the winter with the added calories on top of less exercise.

Latest posts