Coffee

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Drinking a second cup of black tea with cream. Cordless hot water kettle and toaster are my only cooking appliances that will run under generator power. Stove and microwave are out until the power comes back on.
SO HAPPY that you Have a generator!! That's the nature of most of them, just the barebones, and enough to keep the heat on and some of the lights.
We don't operate any appliances when we are running our generator, but all buildings are lit. LED's help a LOT with this bc they pull so few watts, like the two bulbs, one at the top of the 2nd floor stairs, and same in the loft in the barn, 2500 lumens, pulls 25 watts of power.
Also, NO CRACKED PIPES with your generator.
Time to read that book that was on your list! :hugs

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
our forecast for next Friday evening is -19C (-2F) which isn't too bad compared to many others.
We are getting ice around here. But thankfully no snow as yet.

I hope you and your mother invest in rechargeable hot water bottles. They've been a life saver for me and my poor old chicken, she is now on her own.

They stay warm for hours I can't praise them enough. Even my cat needed a hot water bottle, the silly thing wouldn't come in and he was shivering last night.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
We are getting ice around here. But thankfully no snow as yet.

i like how bright it looks with a fresh layer of snow on the ground. sunshine is what really crazy level bright especially if you've not seen much sun at all for a month or more.

I hope you and your mother invest in rechargeable hot water bottles. They've been a life saver for me and my poor old chicken, she is now on her own.

They stay warm for hours I can't praise them enough. Even my cat needed a hot water bottle last night, the silly thing wouldn't come in and he was shivering last night.

we wear more clothes and have hats on when it gets really cold that makes a lot of difference even inside the house. the temperature with the heat on is set at 70F now during the day and we set it down to 67F at night so there's usually plenty of warm for me. i'm used to it being cooler. Mom is the one feeling the cold more so we keep it up higher so she's not cold. we've had a mild winter up until this week so there's really nothing at all to complain about. :)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Coffee is ready. Day is dawning and we are still frozen. Tomorrow it will get above freezing. Sheep are all hunkered down in their shelters. I just put water on to boil so I can go outside and thaw out water buckets. It’s 14F, that’s not normal for us, but it will soon warm up to just above freezing tomorrow.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cheerio ..s in the bowl with Rice Chex and banana, sliced pear on the side. The oolong had an especially long time to steep because I had to peel 2. No, not because one was also needed by DW. DW isn't up yet. Because she bought Bartletts again!

I have been saying for over a month, no more Bartletts! She is such a fresh food fanatic. What is so fresh about something that was picked in August and held in cold storage until January?! Oh well, the tea is good (and the second pear is acceptable, barely).

Canned everything soon, unless it is freight for thousands of miles. DW didn't continue with her enthusiasm for dehydrated tomatoes. Admittedly, I was just standing back and thinking, oh okay.

There's some thawed pasta sauce in the fridge for the store bought ravioli that I have to get to. I used to make ravioli. It wasn't difficult but so long ago that you should take that under advisement ;). Should be doing that still. I wonder what greens beyond spinach would be acceptable. Breakfast finished. Time for herbal :).

Steve

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
i like how bright it looks with a fresh layer of snow on the ground. sunshine is what really crazy level bright especially if you've not seen much sun at all for a month or more.

we wear more clothes and have hats on when it gets really cold that makes a lot of difference even inside the house. the temperature with the heat on is set at 70F now during the day and we set it down to 67F at night so there's usually plenty of warm for me. i'm used to it being cooler. Mom is the one feeling the cold more so we keep it up higher so she's not cold. we've had a mild winter up until this week so there's really nothing at all to complain about. :)
It's good knowing you're both safe and warm

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Cheerio ..s in the bowl with Rice Chex and banana, sliced pear on the side. The oolong had an especially long time to steep because I had to peel 2. No, not because one was also needed by DW. DW isn't up yet. Because she bought Bartletts again!

I have been saying for over a month, no more Bartletts! She is such a fresh food fanatic. What is so fresh about something that was picked in August and held in cold storage until January?! Oh well, the tea is good (and the second pear is acceptable, barely).

Canned everything soon, unless it is freight for thousands of miles. DW didn't continue with her enthusiasm for dehydrated tomatoes. Admittedly, I was just standing back and thinking, oh okay.

There's some thawed pasta sauce in the fridge for the store bought ravioli that I have to get to. I used to make ravioli.
It's been a very long time since I have eaten ravioli. I'll admit I have never made my own. The best I ever ate in my life was in Rome a very long time ago. For me, It ruined ravioli anywhere ever since, it was delicious and stuffed full of spinach 😋
It wasn't difficult but so long ago that you should take that under advisement ;). Should be doing that still. I wonder what greens beyond spinach would be acceptable. Breakfast finished. Time for herbal :).

Steve

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Coffee is ready. Day is dawning and we are still frozen. Tomorrow it will get above freezing. Sheep are all hunkered down in their shelters. I just put water on to boil so I can go outside and thaw out water buckets. It’s 14F, that’s not normal for us, but it will soon warm up to just above freezing tomorrow.
Wrap up well my friend

Country Homesteader

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Morning everyone!
We have cookies to go with morning coffee! Made those yesterday.
All dogs inside today (separate rooms [4 in one room and 1 in my sight] seeing how it's only 32 here and freezing rain. FH is still out salting the roads, been there since yesterday but hoping he'll be able to come home later today.

Attachments

• Snapchat-893165521.jpg
    Snapchat-893165521.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 19
  • Snapchat-282878229.jpg
    Snapchat-282878229.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 20

Latest posts