Coffee

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Study up on HOW to properly lay a cement floor for your new barn.
Mine has a lip which keeps rainwater from spilling into the front doors, the 32 inch one, and the 11 1/2' one.
If you lay a cement barn floor flat and level, heavy rains will flood your barn. at the entrances. If you put a step in, small livestock can have a problem slipping
Then, SERIOUSLY, buy 4' x 8' rubber mats to put on top. If your livestock slips you could have broken knees.
My barn is totally covered with rubber mats. I have the cheaper and thinner mats between in the aisles.
Rubber mats protect your livestock against the damp and against the cold, which is important for me.
Also, build your barn on the highest part of the yard.
Praying for you and yours!!! 🙏🙏🙏

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
yes, and get the foundation dirt for the slab put down as soon as possible so it can be compacted by the weather and gravity before you put anything else on top of it. make sure you know what kind of fill you need for the thing you are putting in over it. if you need footings then you can leave it all at grade now and do the footings and then pack the dirt around them but really that can be a lot more work than just hauling in what you want first and then trenching later for the footings down to the subsoil... well, hey, your choice, talk to people you know who know construction... they know more than i do. :) i'm just nattering on here... :)

Country Homesteader

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
hump5_Fotor-xst.jpg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Coffee! Daylight is peeking through the dark gloom of storm clouds. It started raining at 4 PM yesterday and just let upa few minutes ago. I woke up several times last night to pounding rain. It’s a light rain now but the next wave is approaching. Going to storm all day and night, clear out around 7 tomorrow morning. I’ll be doing chores in the rain today.

GottaGo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We had 59* today... after 2* last week, I was tempted to the shirtsleeves, but I knew I would pay a price for that. The cat (Hussie) however, acted like it was full Spring... racing around the deck, off to the far side of the property and racing back again.... it was very enjoyable to watch him. Rains supposed to start tonight, but at least warm, 63* tomorrow.... maybe sit on the deck (under the overhang) while I sip my coffee.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Coffee is ready. Hard rain woke me up at 3AM, couldn’t go back to sleep. I have to go to town this afternoon. I think I’ll take the Kawasaki mule down the road this morning and check it out.
I've been awake since about 3am.

I'm going to make up my few jars of porridge in a jar and I hope I don't wake up my neighbour.
Time for a nice cup of coco with honey and chia seeds

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I did baking again this week. Today's choice was Choc MAYO Cake. First pic when they first came out of oven, second pic is assembly and quick frost with sprinkles.
I made a banana a coffee cake this week, I added oats chia seeds flax and linseed into it with olive oil and a little butter. Surprisingly it turned out nice. I like to do these little experiments.