Cold Weather Favorite

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
When the weather turns cold I am a soup junkie. Nothing is better on a cold night then a bowl of hot soup. I miss my mothers escarole and bean very thick and hardy. Whats your favorite soup? Will you admit it if its can and not homemade?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love making soup, too! I especially like using the veggies from the garden- and this year I have lots of freezer camp friends for delish chicken soup. Harvested a bunch of carrots this weekend- so carrot soup will be on the menu. I really don't care for canned soup. Dh will have some for lunch now and them. They always taste plastic to me. Do you have your Moms recipe for that soup, Nyboy?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love potato soup--home made--topped with chopped green onion, crumbled bacon (Not Bacos :tongue ) and grated sharp cheddar cheese. Mmm..... :drool I canned vegetable soup last year and this year. Just whatever was ready in the garden went in the pot.

Because of my Louisiana heritage on my mother's side, I love gumbo. I cook a mean pot of gumbo and can make any kind of gumbo. The worst gumbo I ever made was with rattlesnake. I have to say I prefer my rattlesnake fried. Back to gumbo.......shrimp, chicken, crawfish, sausage, crab, in any combination. Spoon some rice in the bowl and cover with gumbo.

For the Texas side of me, it is chili. Home made chili with home grown tomatoes is the best. Tomatoes, beef, onion, garlic, chili pepper, spices......... :drool Top with grated cheese and chopped onions.......... making me hungry. Then pour some fritos in a bowl and top with chili, cheese and onions. Dang! That is eating at it's finest!!

Would I admit it was canned soup????? :tongue barf :sick

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just don't eat canned soup anymore. It does taste all wrong: too much salt, too much artificial seasoning. I might be able to eat tomato soup, if any. I do still use tomato soup in a layered casserole that we love, and once in a while I use a can of cream of-----whatever----soup in a casserole, but I am trying to learn to use more natural stuff, less pre-prepared.
We do love to eat home made soups and chili in the winter. I'm thinking about chili for tomorrow evening.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I never make soup the same way twice. It just depends on what I have around. There's some in my crockpot right now, almost ready. A little leftover beef, some tomato sauce I canned last summer and cauliflower and brocoli florets. A few red beans and i just tossed in some barley. The broth is tasting pretty good.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh yeah, homemade chicken noodle soup with the really thick Amish egg noodles. :drool Or butternut squash soup with a liberally buttered slice of crusty bread. I put a lot of ginger in it and it really warms you up. I hardly buy canned soup anymore, other than plain ol' chicken noodle to have on hand for something quick that the kids like and cream of mushroom soup for cooking, casseroles, etc.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think I've gotten pretty good at making fish chowder.

Through September and October, I make a lot of tomato soup. It is part of the sauce-making that I have to do. The sauce is frozen to go with pasta thru the year. It takes me awhile to cook down the tomatoes and a meal shows up sometime in the process. A little half & half, a little cheese and it's soup!

Yes, I will use cream of whatever for casseroles. DD has been diagnosed with a gluten allergy. I now have to think about making cream of mushroom rather than having Campbells do it for me! I've tried this before and I can't get the thickening right . . . it may be time to go to a double boiler but, boy, I hate to do that! Yeah, my feet get tired standing in front of the stove :rolleyes:.

I was once convinced that a microwave was the way to go with things like that. I never quite got the hang of it. Maybe another machine - the blender - can come to my rescue, hmm? Have you done that before - like taking out half of the beans after they are finished cooking and blending those? They can then be returned to the pot and you have bean soup with some "body" to it.

Steve

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just for the yin side of the yang, someone has to admit eating lots of canned soup. Sometimes I mix it with beans.
Lentil soup seems to be my recent favorite. Progresso.

Walllll, someone had to be guilty, may as well be me :p

Practically everything up there you all make sounds good...'cep'n the rattlesnake gumbo. bleeyech :tongue

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I agree w/marshall. some really great sounding soups here. I think I will pass on the rattlesnake soup too. nyboy's escarole & bean soup - yum. would love to hear steve's more in-depth on his fish chowder. bay needs to give some highlights on making a good gumbo. I do fair - but i'm not getting it just right.

i'll eat canned soup if i'm desperate. dh is a junk food a holic. I just can't turn him around - so we have canned soup on the shelf.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've been eating a TON of soup lately! Every time i make a big batch i put the leftovers in those Ball freezer containers, pop into the freezer until lunch is needed. Pull out the night before and let them thaw on the counter, by lunch the next day they're usually mostly thawed. I'm trying to get some of them out of the freezer so i have room for thanksgiving leftovers!

I make most of my soups creamy. Tons of potato varieties this year. Potato curry; ham potatoes and green beans, potato bacon. Also had lots of squash soups. The hubbard squash i roasted was AMAZING with half and half and bacon. But i cant give you any recipes because i dont use them! Sometimes i glance at a few recipies just for ideas... But usually modify pretty heavily. Oh - made a really amazing southwest noodle with corn.

For some reason i havent done any bean soups in a long while. Blending some of the beans to give it more body is a GREAT idea!!

I'll definitely admit to eating a few kinds of canned soup. I have a particular addiction to box mac & cheese (annie's organic usually) with Campbell's original tomato soup concentrate!! What's the point of organic mixed with nonorganic, you ask!? :hu i have no idea, it's just the way it has to be!! I keep cream of mushroom on the shelf, as well as chicken noodle for sick days when you cant wait for it to be made from scratch.

Latest posts