Color of Outbuildings

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do all your building match in color ? kind of bothers me, my house is yellow my garden shed is pale blue and my greenhouse is tan. The shed and greenhouse siding came that colors. I would like to paint them same color as the house. i am afraid if I paint the siding it willn't be maintenance free like it is now. Do your building match?

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nope. House is white. Coop is weathered siding grey. Barn is red. Dog house is yellow.

I wouldn't worry about it a bit. The colors of your buildings doesn't bother me a bit.
;)
Maybe check with THAT neighbor?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
House red brick with white siding. Workshop/storage building matches.
Dog house grey.
Tornado shelter unpainted cinder block with unpainted concrete roof.
12' x 60' shed with chicken coop in one end dark green, Forest Green as memory serves. Grow-out coop also dark green. I had enough paint left over.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
House is brick. The rest of the buildings -- wood shop, and garden shed are barn metal grey top and red bottom (with red accents), while the coop is natural cedar with door and trim the same red and grey as the sheds.

Just had the greenhouse moved! The new site will allow me to run lights. Rah! I am painting the shelving inside the greenhouse red and grey. I may also end up with a "red" footing around the greenhouse.

FYI: My clothesline poles (picture goal posts) are the same barn red as the sheds.

Nope, Nyboy. There is no reason every building needs to match the others. It just happened here.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
It just happened here because we built everything new. Had a useable building been on the property, it probably would not be the same color. The sole building that was here remained weathered grey until we tore it down.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
By the by, Nyboy, 50+ years ago, we lived in a house with green aluminum siding. It is the house I consider my growing-up-in home as we moved into it when I entered kindergarten and moved out my first year of high school.

Anyhoo, not long after we sold the house, the new owners had the siding painted. It's been a right passel of years now and the siding still looks great. So, if you do want to try a bit of color coordination with your out buildings, you might contact someone (who knows more about paints than I do) who can give you advice on how it should be properly done. All I can think of is a can of Rustoleum and that would be expensive.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Do you think I would have my house painted orange and chartreuse to match my coop? I'm not that crazy! :cool:

Mary

I can only imagine what color(s) your house is Mary ;)

As for us, house (if you can call it that) is white, barn is red, of course. Aren't all barns supposed to be red? Meat coop is brown. Laying coop is SASSY PEACH.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Check back a while to the "Artificial turf" thread. Mary was nice enough to post photos of her lovely home complete with gingerbread. I know there are photos elsewhere on this site as well. Perhaps Mary can remember better than this old lady.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
What are your buildings sided with? I'm sure there is a paint or stain out there that would be no or low maintenance these days. There is a house down the road with a huge shop, 40 x80 ish that's all metal. 10 years ago they painted it a new color to match the cedar siding of the house and it looks great.

I like my outbuildings to match each other, but not the house necessarily.
In fact all of my outbuildings don't match each other. My equipment shed up front is forest green steel siding, the coop and the horse shelter are barn red (my favorite :love) and the dog houses are brown but you can't see them because of the green hops vine covering the dog run.

Someday, not this year I guess, I'll have a hay shed in back and it will be barn red too.

And someday even farther off we hope to reside the house, and I think it will be .... well, I'll decide when it's a sure thing.

I understand how it can bug you to have all the structures a different color.
I think it lends continuity and a kind of visual tidiness to have the outbuildings match.

Latest posts