Columbus Statue Removal NYC

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Although I very young I remember WW2, even here in Canada, ration stamps for things like sugar butter, meat, tea and coffee. Blackouts, couldn't show a light after dark. I remember dad tacking up black paper on some of the windows and we were issued gas masks, a neighbor and good friend was killed in that war. We had a fairly large army base here, my parents always invited a soldier or two to Sunday dinner.
All my cousins that were of age joined up, army navy and air force. My cousin Wes was a pilot and flew out of England. We sent care packages to relatives in England, they were much worse off then we were. I remember my mom packing a wooden box with things not available over there and then sewing it up in canvas. It was a terrible time for all.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I lived thru the scare of the Cold War in Amarillo TX where the Strategic Air Command was located at Amarillo AFB. Everyone was building bomb shelters and we had weekly drills at school. It was the detante between Kennedy and the USSR that eased our minds about the crazy Castro that might have shot missiles into our southern states. What to learn from that, current generation? Keep talking, stop hating, and don't let the politics divide the nation.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We still have a Diefenbunker here, I think most of these built across Canada have been destroyed the one here just had all the equipment removed and sealed but not destroyed.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
On Galveston beach were WW2 concrete bunkers. As a teenager, we played in them, pitch black inside. There is still one that I know of, it is in front of a very nice hotel, with bars on it to keep people out.

Latest posts