Combine Plants to Rid Enemies

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I know it was a copy Ducks and I completely agree with you. I would a whole lot more get info here with all you experienced garden experts that have "been there done that" then I would read and assume it is correct. I think Grandpa is far wiser than the world books ever dreamed of!! :D

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
The book is called Tomatoes Love Carrots and you can get it on Amazon.com! I have one sitting next to me as I type....LOVE this book and am going to try all or most of the suggested companion plantings to see if they really work.

I've already tried marigolds and nasturtiums and found that they do indeed work for repelling bugs, or attracting bugs away, from certain plants.

Some of the things I want to try:

Blue flax next to potatoes..supposed to keep off potato bugs, which are legion here!

Bush beans next to potatoes...same result. They are supposed to be mutually beneficial for this purpose.

Radishes by cukes, squash and melons.

This book also explains why some veggies do not do well next to others...some actually inhibit the growth of each other. The author says that fennel should never be planted in a vegetable garden as most veggies do not like it and it inhibits their growth.

Peas do not grow well around onions and garlic...who knew?

Cucumbers dislike potatoes and potatoes are more likely to develop a blight when planted with cukes.

Pole beans do not like sunflowers.

Neat stuff and I want to apply all I can to see the results. This book also contains many tips about soil needs for different plants, what to do about downy mildew or nematodes on cukes....it is just a wealth of info in one little book. I love it! Will let you all know if the suggestions in the book really work.

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
You are welcome! Its been my planting bible this summer.
I am strictly doing companion planting to improve the health and flavor of my vegetables and hopefully also to improve my yields.
Its good because it has encouraged me to try planting things together that I would never have thought to do on my own.
I think the vegetable garden will be as pretty as its ever been with the addition of the different flowers it recommends.
I know there was a thread earlier and they were looking for info on squash, this link has some recommendations for that as well.
I will have to find that thread.

Happy Planting!:)

kcsunshine

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Beekissed - I love that book. I use it faithfully.

Simplelife - that link is great, too.

Latest posts