Come on cukes (RAH RAH)

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I always direct seed my cukes and melons. They don't like transplanting. Watch for flea beetles when the seedlings are still small. They can wipe you out overnight. Spinosad does the trick on them. You're right about them needing tying up here and there. Most cuke varieties have weak tendrils and don't support the plant once the heavy fruit forms without tying.

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You have a long season Hoodat. I start them indoors in like 2 weeks.

I've never trellised cucs... I just let them ramble in the bed, but I do Armenian cucs. This year I am being more intensive so going vertical might be good.

Do all cucs need to be trellised?

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Armenian cukes are actually edible gourds. If you want them to be straight you definitely need to trellis but they have strong tendrils and usually don't need tying up. The vines get huge and if you let them trail on the ground they will turn into a jungle.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Armenian cukes are Cucumis melo, and that is also what cantaloupes, crenshaws, and honeydews are, Cucumis melo.

They can be grown in shorter seasons than other muskmelons simply because they are harvested before they fully ripen.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The taste is almost identical to a mild cucumber. They need heat. They may look wilted in the hottest part of the day but if you check them early in the morning you'll find they perked up at night.