comfrey

jbosmith

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@jbosmith , what do,you intend to do with the Comfrey!
I have a big clump of the Boking 14 and 3 separate patches of the regular Comfrey. Both do well here in Alaska, returning each year and none of them have gotten out of control. I clear cut it (all but a couple leaves) at least 3 times a year and dry it for use in my compost tea and as a soil amendment.
Also known as “knit bone”; i once used a strong poltice of Comfrey on my broken wrist and was very happy with the results.
I'd like to say that I'll do something clever like add leaves to compost or bury them under some mulch near my favorite veggies but .. realistically I'll watch them grow with some passive interest and a vague notion that I should do more. :)

Last edited:

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You seem to be on the right wave length, a net search will show the NPK values are pretty good and the reason we us it as one of the elements in the compost tea.
a couple leaves in a bucket of water will (in a couple days) generate a vile smelling concoction that your plants will love.

of course, it’s a beautiful plant that seems to flower most of the summer up here, deep purple’s and pinks! Pollinators are drawn to it readily. Mostly bumble bees and butterflies, honey bees not so much.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know this thread is 5 years old but it is exactly what I was looking for. For those of you who are still around - are the non-seeding kinds still doing well for you without getting out of control? I got 6 'Bocking 14' root cuttings recently and so far I'm eying them skeptically and trying to decide what to do with them.
No barrier will stop comfrey if you have the wrong kind. I dig out baseball bat sized roots. And of course the entire thing never comes out.

Latest posts