Companion planting

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So, I'm sure it has been discussed here many times, but I would like to start a topic on companion planting. I want to be a better gardener, and I want to be able to produce as much food as I can in our small garden!

I've heard of "The 3 sisters" but I don't really know what they are. What are they?

What are other things that you guys pair together in your gardens?

Since I somehow missed that we didn't have cauliflower seeds when I made our garden plan this year, I ordered some purple of Sicily from Baker Creek the other day. I'd done some research as to what things that you can plant together for some natural control in our garden. I ended up ordering borage to mix in with our tomatoes to repel hornworms and attract bees, Grandview Catmint to intermix to keep away aphids and squash bugs (We had a real problem with both last year!), and some morning glories for some color and to attract bees.

Anybody else do things like this?

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm doing...

Borage all over
Nasturtiums for the cukes, zuchs, and melons (and would have been the broccoli and cauliflower also, but I got a late start and won't do those til fall now).
marigolds all over
garlic chives all over (but not the peas)
carrots with Tomatoes
Basil with tomatoes
Dill with the cukes and peas

It'll be a mess, but we'll see how it goes. ;)

I like companion planting to enhance flavors and reduce pests.

The 3 sisters (Corn, squash, beans) is intended mostly as physical companions. The corn provides a "trellis" for the beans, and the squash vines shade the roots? And they're not competing for the same area of growth/sun/air. I think that's how it works.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Sisters_(agriculture)
http://www.reneesgarden.com/articles/3sisters.html

Latest posts