Companion planting

gone 2 seed

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
So I spent an hour laying out my plans for a new garden then I decided that I should check to see which plants I should grow together. Well I found this great website that tells you which plants/herbs/flowersgrow best together or should be planted in other parts of the garden. I thought it was great advice so I wanted to share. Original plans ended up in the trash. Back to the drawing board.

http://www.ghorganics.com/page2.html

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ive said it before and I'll say it again, I love companion planting. I set out to plan a much larger garden than usual and it took a bit of work. My potatoes are going to end up on the other end of the house. :rolleyes:

gone 2 seed

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
AMS, I had planed to grow beans up the corn but never thought to let cucumber grow up the corn. I still have a lot to learn in my old age. :hide

gone 2 seed

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
ams3651 said:
Ive said it before and I'll say it again, I love companion planting. I set out to plan a much larger garden than usual and it took a bit of work. My potatoes are going to end up on the other end of the house. :rolleyes:
What secrets have you found work for you with the companion planting? Have you ever let the cucumbers run up the corn? What about the recomendation of sunflowers in the same row as the corn. Strawberries and onions do you grow them in the row to either side? I was going to use weed cloth under the berries. Do pumpkins under the corn really cut out the weeds?

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I havent been able to do much with the garden since Ive been living here but my dad always planted the cucumbers in the shade of the corn but I dont think they went up the corn. Pumpkins were planted many times, by accident, in the field with the corn because thats where we dumped them the year before. They do cut down on the weeds but you cant really walk thru. Some of the biggest pumpkins came from that field.

Sunflowers should not be planted with pole beans because of competition, or potatoes because they inhibit the growth of both. when grown with corn they protect each other from insects.

Strawberries are good with spinach and lettuce as a border. Marigolds will keep pests away as with many parts of the garden. I plant marigolds all thru the garden, they come up year after year and I harvest seeds for the expansion each year.

Onions can be planted along side strawberries but not peas and beans. To lessen the chance of onion magots scatter plant, not in a row as they travel in a row.

Latest posts