Companion plants and mulch

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have planted some companions seeds around the seedlings I started back in January (and have moved into their outside beds). The problem, the companions are just little bitty things, and though I would like to mulch, I'm afraid they will get buried/get too much H20.

I guess I will just have to postpone mulching until they get bigger? Is there a good rule of (green) thumb for how big they need to be before I mulch?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You could put small wire sleeves around them, DG.

1" chicken netting may work just to keep the mulch from covering them and to allow the plants to grow up thru the sleeve. Or, collar . . . clothing sometimes confuses me . . . :/

digitS'

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
:gig You crack me up!

I planted a whole slew of borage in and around damned near everything. I can't imagine putting little shirts around each of them....

guess I'll just wait till they grow a bit?:hu

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you can keep the weeds at bay until they get going, you won't have to worry about it after that. That thick of a planting will create a living mulch, which will add to their usefulness as companions. :)

ETA: What are the seedlings that your borage is surrounding? (just curious)

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Toms around my tomatoes (I've heard it not only deters bad bugs, but also attracts good bugs. I've even been told it enhances the tomatoes flavor). Also around squash,cucumbers and zucchini to deter squash bugs and cut beetles.

I planted a slew so that I could also put it in me salads and freeze the flowers in ice cubes for summer drinks. We'll see!

Latest posts