Compost Barrels

Dilly Girl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi,

When using a rotating compost barrel, what is the best way to get it going. Do I just start dumping coffee grounds and lawn clippings in? Is there any method of starting one off on the right turn so to speak.

Dilly Girl

S0rcy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Nitrogen is what causes your compost to heat up. You will want more carbon (brown stuff) than nitrogen (green stuff) About 25:1. It will take some experimentation to find out a good "recipe" for the materials you use.

This guide contains a table of what has N and what has C, then you can make the decision on how much of what item to put into the barrel and how much moisture to add.

http://www.compostguide.com/

whatnow?

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Some people seem to be able to stockpile materials prior to building a pile. I use kitchen scraps, so that it NOT an option. I keep pile high in carbon and add my nasty kitchen waste to it, covering the stinkys up as I go. Then, when the growing season starts, I tear the pile apart and rebuild it. By this point, the kitchen stuff is partially digested and doesn't seem to add much.

In the hottest pile I have ever built (skin burn hot,) sod was the king ingredient. I peeled back some sod for a new garden bed and tossed it into the middple of the pile, and BOOM my luke warm pile went off like a rocket... I suspect that the pile needed to be inoculated with beneficials.

Latest posts