Compost Box

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've kinda went TOO far with my previous compost pile. I've been using a 24" plastic planter. I eventually would like to use the planter again to actually plant in come spring.

So My husband has this old used plastic truck tool box, its double sided too. So I was thinking its just sitting on the side of the house, what an AWESOME compost bin it would make.

I'm ready to dump my compost bucket on one side of it now, and then maybe scoot it over when its almost ready to use, and start a second pile of fresh stuff to break down.

Just wondering if this is a good idea and whether the lids matter, or I need to drill any holes in it?

It looks just like this one (Just with rust spots and scratched plastic):
PA013577_800.jpg

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
No there is nothing seperating the two sides. I can slide one pile over for another.

I was just concerned with keeping moisture in or out.... I'm not quite sure what the rule for that is?! My grandparents just had piles and a wall seperating 3 levels of their composting.... no tops?!

I hope my worms stay in.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm keeping it at the end of my deck where it should have shade for more then half the day.

So should I drill holes in the bottom or the top or the sides? Is it needing air from them or is it to drain moisture?!

I really should know more about this, I just didn't think about it when I started throwing my organic wastes into the flower pot. I was just thinking, "oh this will break down nice for my gardens."

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you are going to put worms in it - yes it does need holes for drainage in the bottom and maybe the sides for air circulation.

Worms can drown in to much moisture and the bin has to be ventilated in hot weather - red worms like temperatures between 40 - 80 degrees (if I remember my worm manual correctly!)