Compost maker

crazzzymike13

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I Just bought a Enviro cycle compost maker at a garge sale for 7 dollars!!!!! I'm about to start making some compost. Question though. Do i need to put it in direct sun or will a shady spot be ok??

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
crazzzymike13 said:
I Just bought a Enviro cycle compost maker at a garge sale for 7 dollars!!!!! I'm about to start making some compost. Question though. Do i need to put it in direct sun or will a shady spot be ok??
WOW. What a find. Sun would be best. Decay organisms work faster in heat. It's unlikely it will get too hot but if it does you can move it into semi shade.

crazzzymike13

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Today it got up too 103. I live in the Texas Panhandle. Do I need to add dirt to it?? I'm new to composting. Maybe old planting soil?

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Rich garden soil helps to inoculate it with the right organisms but you only need a couple of handfulls. Better yet is to get the compost starter which has all of the organisms in it. You should be able to get it at any independent nursery and a lot of the chains.

crazzzymike13

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Cool Cool. I know I cant put meat in it. But can I put rice and pastas in it??

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The main reason for not putting in meat is that it attracts varmints. Decaying meat can also be unhealthy to you if you come in contact with it. It's best to leave it out, but bones are fine. Even though they don't seem to be breaking down they are leaching phosphorous and calcium into your compost.

DianeS

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Yes, rice and pastas are fine.

Pretty much if it isn't solid meat and isn't pure dairy, I put it in my compost pile. All veggies, all fruit, bones (like from boiled chicken), veggie soup (even with beef broth), eggshells, burned pancakes, stale/moldy bread, leftover mac-and-cheese, leaves I rake up, grass I mow, weeds I pull, whatever it is I end up sweeping off the driveway every couple weeks, dead/dying houseplants, ashes from the fireplace, cardboard boxes (like food boxes that rip up if large or thick), etc, etc, etc.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
At least it gives me a use for all those throwaway Spanish newspapers they keep throwing on my driveway. It takes a while but they eventually break down. I put them on the bottom each time I turn the pile. They soak up the juice that leaks down and would otherwise run off and carry nutrients away.

crazzzymike13

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Sounds crazzzy but I am actually having fun putting stuff in my compost maker. LOL!! My wife thinks I'm a little strange. I just like new stuff, and I hate wasting anything. I'm not a tree hugger or anything, but hey if I can do something with it I will.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
A lot of people here share your fascination with composting. It's great to turn garbage into a useful part of the earth and it also eases the strain on landfills. My garbage container is empty most pickup days and even my recycle bin is lighter.

Latest posts