Compost mushrooms?

Gazinga

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
ok, my property is overrun with mushrooms! i hate to just destroy and waste all of them out of my yards. Soooo,

1) can i put them in my compost bin?
2) how do i stop them from growing more?
3) what really started them?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I was just reading about mushrooms and when any question I had was asked, the book basically said FORGET it! It is unknown why mushrooms DO anything or HOW they do anything! :gig I was thinking, "Well GREAT, that's not helpful!"

They mentioned its believed their main purpose on this planet is to decompose organic materials! Though mushrooms CHOOSE their location best on their type and need. Some feed and survive off the root systems of other plants because they need the sugars to work... as mushroom hate sun, they don't produce the sugars they need to work. So they may not work for you if you try to move them or spread them.

As they spread by spores something is touching and moving the spore around for you. Do you know what type they are? Are they edible or toxic? Don't forget their is a living cell system in the ground that is hard to remove... just because you remove the top mushroom, the cell system won't just die!

I did read that Oyster Mushrooms are so good at cleaning contaiminated toxic materials they put some mushrooms in a bowl of some toxic waste from a waste site and in 4 days the mushrooms had cleaned the chemical where is was safe to dispose of anywhere.

Mushroom are some crazy interesting beings... not animal, not plant... but darn important!

Ok, just rambling off useless information, but I stored it for a reason I guess. :hide

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sure, no problem at all. They may or may not grow in your compost, but who cares? :p

Mushrooms are often pretty picky about what they'll grow on. (Remember that the actual 'mushroom' you see is just the fruiting body, vaguely analogous to a flower... the business end of the fungus is the web of nearly-invisible mycelial strands that permeate whatever it's growing on, and are much more extensive than just the mushroom you SEE).

They typically live on decaying woody material, so lawn mushrooms are typically growing on buried wooden construction debris or buried dead tree roots or buried dead wood. Many mushrooms will only grow on certain kind(s) of trees' woods, others are less particular. Some will grow on dead leaves or newspaper in your compost, most won't.

But they're certainly not hurting anything (uh, obviously don't eat them unless you can determine FOR SURE they are an edible species, of course, but I mean, just their PRESENCE is not hurting anything) and they are valuable decomposers. And they compost down just fine :)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Latest posts