Compost troubles

frontiergirl53

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi, so is it ok if your compost has grey-ish mold in compost? I had mushrooms about 3 feet from it. (an accident) My friends tell me that I am over reacting, but will it harm it?

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Compost is pretty much just rotting stuff. I love to see mushrooms in mine and figure that means that it's a 'happy pile'. What's in your compost?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Remember, a common commercial product these days is mushroom compost.

The mushrooms were destined for supermarkets. I've never been concerned about the mushrooms that have grown in the commercial stuff. I have been concerned about adequate decomposition.

Your compost really shouldn't be growing mushrooms if you are following any sort of schedule. You should be turning it and getting some nutrients back in your garden soil.

Anyway, my compost has no chance of growing mushrooms, here on the 48th parallel, unless I'm really neglecting getting it somewhere it can grow garden plants. My guess is that a good stirring will entirely change whatever fungal environment is in it as it heats again in decomposition. Put in something with high nitrogen and it will cook.

If you are still concerned about its safety, use it on your ornamentals.

There are concerns about breathing in dust and fungus spores. If your compost is dry, wet it down before stirring it and wear a dust mask. I once had a very, very bad case of the "flu" after moving several truckloads of wood chips. Congested and coughing for about 3 weeks.

Steve

frontiergirl53

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
In reply to @canesisters , all of our organic kitchen scraps, grass, straw, ect. The mushrooms were in infected pots, that were thrown away after that. Haha, yes I have been wearing a mask when I stir it.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
What were the pots infected with? I would not be at all worried about mushrooms, other fungi, or molds growing in the compost. I'd be worried about what diseases might be in the mix from that infection.

Even when wearing a mask my allergies go crazy whenever I work in the compost of clean out the chicken coop. A mask helps but I drip like a faucet. I've never been tested but I'm sure I'm allergic to mold.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know I need to be more diligent about wearing a mask when I clean out the chicken house. That "chicken disease" that affects your lungs is prevalent in this area. Recently cut grass really bothers me, just as it starts to mold. But I don't worry about mushrooms growing in the compost. Just stir them up and hope for the best. :hide

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mushrooms are decomposers, usually working on carbon rich materials like wood or straw. I would say you need more greens to heat it up. If it were hot enough, the mushrooms would not survive anyway. Kitchen scraps are good to put in there, but they don't have enough nitrogen to get things really cooking. More grass clippings, plant refuse and fresh manure will help. I've had mold in my compost usually when wet grass clippings compact tightly in layers and don't allow enough airflow to allow the microbes to break them down. They will ferment, kinda like silage and persist a long time.

It helps also to put a few shovelfuls of plain ol' garden dirt to inoculate the pile with the good bacteria, turn over every so often to keep it aerated and rain or hose in enough water to keep it moist but not sopping wet.

@so lucky - I had a sudden onset of asthma symptoms a few years ago that was caused by the dust and dander of my chickens. I had to build a new, smaller coop that didn't require me to go inside to clean or tend the chickens so I wouldn't be so exposed to it.

It's probably wise to wear a dust mask to turn that compost pile as long as there is visible mold. Wetting it down as needed will help too. I have never heard that it should be a regular precaution otherwise though.