Compost troubles

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
What is Chicken disease?

I believe that it is this:

histoplasmosis

On BYC, I was always dismayed that so many folks with small flocks thought that they should try a "deep litter" scheme.

Steve
Journey and I were posting at about the same moment, different problems.

frontiergirl53

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
@journey11 do you have silver sand in your run of the coop? It SOMEtimes triggers respiratory problems. I can't have it in my run, my sister has asthma and she would have a hard time breathing around it.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
@journey11 do you have silver sand in your run of the coop? It SOMEtimes triggers respiratory problems. I can't have it in my run, my sister has asthma and she would have a hard time breathing around it.

I'm not really sure what silver sand is, actually. At the time, I had a barn with one end converted into the chicken coop. Just used pine shavings on the floor/droppings pit. I think going into that enclosed space with not enough ventilation is what got me. I never wore a mask to just collect eggs or feed the chickens. I wasn't really as timely as I should have been cleaning them out either. My new coop/tractor is a breeze to keep clean. :)

frontiergirl53

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yeah, its like river sand. I love chicken tractors they are so clean! My friends have dirt as the chicken coop "bedding" and I sneeze like crazy whenever I visit them, the chickens scratch up so much dust! @journey11

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
To the OP, some mold in a compost pile is normal. Check the center temp of the pile to see if it's warm. If it's cool to the touch, and if the weather is permitting, not too cold and damp, you can try adding alfalfa pellets to boost the Nitrogen content. That should get it cooking again.