Compost

Mary Catherine Williamson

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I use pine shavings for my chicken bedding and am wondering if pine shavings will decompose in the compost fast enough. If not is there a better alternative that isn't super expensive?

MC

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I use A LOT of shavings (chicken coop, cow stall, etc) and I always just toss them in the compost. You can 'hurry' it up a bit by mixing in bunny poo. That is usually collected under hutches so there is little bedding mixed in. I've found that if it doesn't completely compost, it just makes for 'loamy' soil and I plant in it anyway.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
The wood chips are fine for the compost. If they don't completely decompose, they don't cause any problem.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
You should not add plants infested with a pest that might overwinter or plants with disease. Also avoid weeds gone to seed. I often ignore that last one to my regret. If you are using one of those barrel composters so it gets turned a lot the seeds will probably rot but in a pile on the ground even if you turn it a lot (which I don't) the seeds often don't get all put in the middle of the pile.

I've heard to not add predator poop like dog or cat as it might harbor some disease so I don't, but I would not over worry about that as long as it composts really well before use.

Meat and fats can attract rats, raccoons, possums, and other critters. Dogs might enjoy digging in there. I have buried dead chickens and some other animals and animal parts deep in my compost, but normally when I am putting the pile together and I can bury them real deep. Just yesterday I found a tooth in the garden that probably came from my compost.

Wood shavings are different than wood chips. Both will decompose over time but chips take longer. The shavings should not be any kind of problem but you probably need to turn the pile or at least bury them to get them to break down.

I forgot to add if you leave meat or meat products exposed flies will lay eggs in them as they rot. The meat will rotting stink and you will have maggots all over. If you put meat in the compost, bury it deep.

Last edited:

Mary Catherine Williamson

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I do have a barrel composter and that reminds me of a question I wanted to ask. Will the compost get enough air??
Thank you so much everyone for all of the help you have given me since I joined, You all are a huge help!
MC

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
This spring on every corner a sign was posted town will no longer be picking up grass clippings. makes me wonder if town had compost pile I didn't know about that they stopped.