Composting chicken litter that has DE in it

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
On this forum and BYC, there is much discussion of the merits of DE. Many people sprinkle it in the deep litter in the coop and also in the run. Many even put it in the chickens' food. Seems that most people also compost the old litter from coop and run. How does this affect the composting process? Won't the DE kill many beneficial organisms normally present in a healthy compost pile? Won't it kill earthworms? Will the compost pile ingredients still break down? Worried about my worms in suburbia aka aquarose

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't know for sure. However, personally I would not worry about it as long as there are only small amounts of DE (like, the amount you get from dusting the chickens every now and then and from dusting a cupful or so into coop crevices). (If you go flinging it around with gay abandon throughout your litter, then I dunno).

The mechanism of DE's action, as far as I know, is to slice thru the waterproof cuticle of invertebrate exoskeletons so that the critters 'raisin up' from dehydration. This is not likely to be much of an issue in soil, where moisture levels are high. I can't rule out DE having some other sort of effect, e.g. from critters eating it, but I would not expect it to be a large effect.

Still, I know no official evidence-based answer, so it kind of comes down to personal choice.

If you are concerned, a worthwhile project might be to take your existing compost pile and divide it into 2 (or preferably 4) equal and similar portions. Mix a little bit of DE into one (or two, if you've got enough to be able to make 4 sub-piles) and leave it alone for a couple months. Then stick a shovel in it and see what you find. It won't be a quantitative test but if you see no major 'eyeball' difference, it is prolly no big deal.

If you do that, let me know what you find :)

Pat

SoccerMomof7

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I use the food grade does that make a difference?

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
bills, I also contacted Wolf Creek Ranch and they said that it should have no affect on worms and other creatures in the compost/garden. They also outlined using the procedure that Pat mentioned as well.

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hey bills! Thanks for the tip. It almost sounds too good to be true. I am considering trying it on my carpenter ants!

tinman9952

Sprout
Reaction score
Although food grade DE may not harm earthworms, it is harmful to beneficial insects like honeybees and probably lady bugs. My plan is to compost shavings and droppings seperately to till into the soil, and use my other compost pile for top dressing.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
AquaRose, do you have chickens? My hens just had a carpenter ant meal today, as they do whenever there are any to have. That's another thought for getting rid of them! :)

Latest posts