Composting for an urban environment

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh oh!! Finally...a glimmer of hope! Dear ol' dad, can be sincerely clueless on some things. He was trying to tell me about his pushmower that we have to use here. Needs repaired. How it has a bag. And that we can put those grass clippings in a bag....for the trash day. :th :th

I said "Noooo!!!"...how can you throw away perfectly good grass clippings!?? Compost them for the garden!!
He says....."We don't have any gardens here". Uhm...yes we do. Flower gardens are gardens. I guess he thinks only vegetables can be gardens. I tried to educate him.

I pointed out that bag of stuff in the driveway. THAT, has been composted. The companies that market that stuff had to get it from somewhere.

So, we briefly discussed composting. Of which he is totally unfamiliar with. Me, I have been doing it since the 80's.

So, anyway, that hurdle is over, for the moment. Till he comes back on me and claims he never said that. Oh well, there WILL be a compost pile. :thumbsup

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
yes, sometimes i think i should get decisions in writing with a signature and date on them so that i don't have to keep saying that we talked about it and i thought we were all settled. and then later i get "that's not what i want to do" and have to change my plans. so far this year is going ok. she's at least staying out of most of what i'm doing and letting me just get it done. *whew!*

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Nope. No basement. Slab construction. I will just need to camouflage it to look "not" like a compost pile. I see people bagging their raked up leaves here too. ugh. Leave belong in the compost.
It's gonna be a challenge for sure.
Make sure you add a lot of very fragrant or wet food, such as onion scraps, melons, or squash to your indoor compost. Attach a handful or two of shredded paper or dry leaves to your compost any time you add food scraps or coffee. Turn the compost and pump it periodically.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@Just-Moxie , It just occured to me---how about making your compost pile cover out of landscape timbers? You could build it up a few feet, not attached any, just lay them like a log cabin, then pull apart when needed. You neighbors will think your are creating a separate flower bed. They really DO look nice and not pricey. $3-$4/each and you could saw them into 2 pieces bc they are about 10 ft. long each.

Latest posts