composting methods and why i do what i do

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I am too cheap to buy stuff like that. Then, again, I move the same amount of material that you talk about in two days, between my 3 horses and 12 chickens! I think that they work VERY WELL in suburban/small town lawns where your neighbors want things tidy.
ONE thing for sure, patience is the key to good composting. It's good to plan, too. The soiled bedding that I am this winter dumping along my pasture fence lines are NOT attractive to my horses. They won't be putting their heads through the fence to eat any of it, so the occasional weeds that I will be spraying shouldn't be a hazard to them.
In addition to gardening articles I also continue to read up on horse articles. There was a recent one about selenium in the soil, and another about treating toxins from nut trees. I examined ALL of the trees on my property when we moved here to be sure that no poisonous trees and those with toxic leaves were growing anywhere where my horses could consume them. I always need to think ahead bc my animals don't.
You can spray, but you need to know how long to keep your horses OFF of the sprayed area, and what sprays NEVER to use where they graze, inCLUDING the areas that they may occasionally graze.
There are other solutions, too. We have a weed tree called, the "Tree of Paradise." It can grow 5 ft in a year. It isn't harmful to my animals, but the roots will grow the tree back. I had one of them as a sapling growing roots right under the cement block that covers the cistern close to the house. I cut it 3 inches down but couldn't reach the rest of it. So, I took a used cottage cheese container and covered the roots and put a brick on top last year. I smothered it. Doesn't bother me that I have plastic in the bed. I can dig that out later.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@rainey i've been working in this clay here for many years. certain things you just learn to wait it out if you have to. other times i've dug trenches using a trowel as it stuck so much to the shovel that i was having to use the trowel often to scrape off the shovel so it ended up much faster to just use the trowel directly. and we also usually garden with a spare set of garden shoes handy in case we have to walk on the pathways so we aren't tracking clay/mud around. it can stick to the bottom of the shoes several inches thick. but it is fertile and holds moisture well so i really wouldn't trade it for the sand that many others around here have. they struggle to get a crop during the hot and dry spells we sometimes have...

i can always use any organic materials and the worm farm helps take care of kitchen scraps and any papers.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee, those are great prices for those wrought iron panels at that Habitat store.

Mary

Everything there is a great price! They had a beautiful metal pergola frame the other day and it went for $45...snapped up as soon as they opened, of course. They move stuff right along and they get some great things sometimes.

They also have a contest each year where folks buy something and upcycle it or repurpose it, then the customers get to vote on the one they like the best. All the proceeds go to the Habitat, of course.

Latest posts