Composting with worms!

gardeniasandhens

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I can't wait for spring this year. I'm making all sorts of plans for my garden already and I am probably most excited about starting worm bins. How long does it typically take for the worms to break everything down? Is it best to use just one bin or the three stacked bins?

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think that is a great idea but I always get busy and kill my worms. The three teirs is the quickest way.

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hunkie, where are you?

I like the three bins, but a pile will do. An old cooler is a great way to go if you do it small style. Easy to regulate temp and moisture this way. I LOVE worm castings, but here on the farm they are just a part of our composting sites. :D

Have fun. you will love it!

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
lI am in Ohio and it is about 18 degrees outside so no worms right now. I have tried it twice and killed them twice. If you have a pile the worms will get away or it will be just like a compost pile (which is how my worms survive LOL). I have used coolers but then I forget to water them and bad things happen. I do have compost piles and they are full of worms so I am getting some castings without the work. I put compost on my garlic when I planted it and it was full of worms but I felt kinda bad because I think they hate garlic. Maybe they won't mind spending the winter with them. :fl

gardeniasandhens

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I think I'm gonna do it small style. Just in case I kill them then there's not a big wasted thing to find a home for in my basement. I'm excited!

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't even add wigglers. They just invade kitchen scraps. Try it small. It's tons of fun! Let me know about your success. ;)

NJfarmer

Leafing Out
Reaction score
gardeniasandhens said:
I can't wait for spring this year. I'm making all sorts of plans for my garden already and I am probably most excited about starting worm bins. How long does it typically take for the worms to break everything down? Is it best to use just one bin or the three stacked bins?
I have red wigglers and I use a single rubbermaid container. As far as time required for worms to break down food it depends on how many worms you have.

I found this site to be helpful
http://www.redwormcomposting.com/

This site states that " In ideal conditions worms can eat at least their own weight of organic matter in a day."
http://journeytoforever.org/compost_worm.html

Sprinkler Buddy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you have the time, please post some photos as you go along with this project. I like photos!:)

freerun

Sprout
Reaction score
I live in South Jersey, zone 6/7. Does anybody have any ideas what to do with the worms in the winter? I tried having them inside the house, but had mice in the basement attracted to the container.

Latest posts