Confessions - Persimmons

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
That's just insane (and kinds sad).

Ironically just a couple hours ago I picked up a box (only about 1/4 the size of your boxes) of Fuyu from the woman that gave them to my mom a year ago.

fuyu.jpg

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That's just insane (and kinds sad).

Ironically just a couple hours ago I picked up a box (only about 1/4 the size of your boxes) of Fuyu from the woman that gave them to my mom a year ago.

View attachment 46270
That tree is insane! None of the ones here have that many. Ours are more orange and bigger it seems but it could be the shadow.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I drove 30 minutes to get a box of the last ones of the seasons. Seller said she couldn’t find a wholesaler so persimmons are just rotting on her 6,000 tree farm. I LOVE Fuyu and eat 3 a day.

My neighbor gave me a small dehydrator last year. I wasn’t even sure if it worked but it did. Drying the last batch today. I have a few to eat fresh.

Attachments

• 48DCB1C1-D78E-483A-A773-DA6C435586AB.jpeg
    48DCB1C1-D78E-483A-A773-DA6C435586AB.jpeg
    170.4 KB · Views: 93
  • DA62CA95-FA10-4C88-98E0-E4B4CF4145BA.jpeg
    DA62CA95-FA10-4C88-98E0-E4B4CF4145BA.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 104

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tried making hoshigaki persimmons but they got mold. Next year I will hang by window with southern exposure where they get sun all day. They need to develop a skin quickly so they won’t mold.

You use hachiya persimmons for this method.

Attachments

• F39787B8-206C-496C-9BED-683852A2A0A7.jpeg
    F39787B8-206C-496C-9BED-683852A2A0A7.jpeg
    160.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 83829BEB-3BF9-4DE5-BE0A-8921CD123C2D.jpeg
    83829BEB-3BF9-4DE5-BE0A-8921CD123C2D.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 109

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I drove 30 minutes to get a box of the last ones of the seasons. Seller said she couldn’t find a wholesaler so persimmons are just rotting on her 6,000 tree farm. I LOVE Fuyu and eat 3 a day.

My neighbor gave me a small dehydrator last year. I wasn’t even sure if it worked but it did. Drying the last batch today. I have a few to eat fresh.

that is majorly sad that she could not find a reseller. there are so many ways to advertise free stuff and to find people who are looking for free food that it strikes me that perhaps she could use some help in marketing or something because it shouldn't be that hard to find people in need.

i've still never have had one. some day! :) hope you have a wonderful persimony Christmas. :)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
that is majorly sad that she could not find a reseller. there are so many ways to advertise free stuff and to find people who are looking for free food that it strikes me that perhaps she could use some help in marketing or something because it shouldn't be that hard to find people in need.

i've still never have had one. some day! :) hope you have a wonderful persimony Christmas. :)
It's probably a liability issue to have people pick on her farm.

The thing that I found interesting is that she had her garage full of boxes of persimmons that she was selling for $20 for a 40 lb box. I think she mentioned that they had been $25 but not sure. Anyway, she planned to sell to the food bank any that were left over. I understand the need to make money but at this point I would have lowered the box to $10 to try to get rid of them. Anything I had left over I would donate to the food bank and not sell it to them.

I believe in giving and helping others. It's not always about money. I also believe that when you give with your heart it comes back to you.

Mary

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's probably a liability issue to have people pick on her farm.

it could be that for having people pick, but if she has them already picked and boxed in the garage that's no longer an issue of that kind (or shouldn't be) unless there is some kind of home business or other issue from traffic or something going on there which would prevent from her selling them from the garage.

still sounds strange to me or like they don't know what they are doing with marketing.

The thing that I found interesting is that she had her garage full of boxes of persimmons that she was selling for $20 for a 40 lb box. I think she mentioned that they had been $25 but not sure. Anyway, she planned to sell to the food bank any that were left over. I understand the need to make money but at this point I would have lowered the box to $10 to try to get rid of them. Anything I had left over I would donate to the food bank and not sell it to them.

whatever it would take to cover the labor of picking and the price of the boxes. that would be my minimum price to sell. meeting overhead is nice, but if you can't do that then at least meet your basic expenses. after that, to prevent waste, give away to anyone who will come and get them.

find someone who has pigs and ask them to come clean up under trees after they fall. i wonder if that would work? might even be able to make a few $ that ways too. there's so many possibilities...

of course also composting will take care of any left. worm food is always good. sell composted results as worm castings. another $ maker potential for any fruit farm.

I believe in giving and helping others. It's not always about money. I also believe that when you give with your heart it comes back to you.

yes, same here, i try to give away as many beans for free as i possibly can, at least those for seeds and others to grow. i also give away some of my bulk beans, but they do take me so much time to grow, shell and sort that i won't do it with those nearly as much as i'd like to encourage others to grow their own beans instead. i've been making up seed containers to give away at seed swaps the past few days. :) no idea how many i'll ever actually manage to give away but i always remain hopeful. :)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Tried making hoshigaki persimmons but they got mold. Next year I will hang by window with southern exposure where they get sun all day. They need to develop a skin quickly so they won’t mold.

You use hachiya persimmons for this method.
Beautiful drying job, @ninnymary !
I hope that the rotting persimmons grow some new trees for sale!

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
I hope that the rotting persimmons grow some new trees for sale!
On that note...

The persimmons I got from my friend are PERFECT!

From what I understand, there are many fruits that if grown from seed, won't produce the same exact fruit as the parent (like in the video below).

I'd LOVE to plant seeds from this fruit and grow them... but don't want to bother if not 100% sure it will propagate same fruit.