Confused about garlic

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My garlic has sprouted - it's about 5 to 6 inches tall. When we do have our winter down here and it kills it, will it come back in the spring?

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You shouldn't have any trouble. I don't think the ground stays frozen for any length of time in your part of the country. If you want to be sure use a heavy straw mulch once the tops die. You can pull it aside with the first Spring warmth and they should show new growth pretty quickly.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Even mine are up, here in zone 4. It has been such a crazy, warm fall- they sprouted. So long as they aren't sitting in water (and rot), they will bounce right back in the spring. As Hoodat, says straw is a good plan. I still haven't done mine, though. 60 degrees again today!!

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm so glad. I was afraid I was going to loose my 100 cloves I planted! I still haven't mulched mine either and didn't have a chance to do it today and we have rain tomorrow - maybe Sunday.

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
WOW...100 cloves of garlic!!! If you get half of them to mature that would be a lifetime supply.
If your's is anything like mine all will mature.
Good luck.

THANX RICH

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
dickiebird said:
WOW...100 cloves of garlic!!! If you get half of them to mature that would be a lifetime supply.
Good luck.

THANX RICH
Well, I already have friends and family that want some so it won't go to waste! :)

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
dickiebird said:
Good luck.

THANX RICH
My grandfather had a saying about zuchini. "If you plant one or two they'll die. If you plant twenty every dang one will thrive and you'll have zuchini coming out of your ears (only he didn't say ears. ;) )

daver

Leafing Out
Reaction score
hoodat said:
dickiebird said:
Good luck.

THANX RICH
My grandfather had a saying about zuchini. "If you plant one or two they'll die. If you plant twenty every dang one will thrive and you'll have zuchini coming out of your ears (only he didn't say ears. ;) )
:yuckyuck

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hey you guys, I'm getting concerned. I put out 30 cloves of garlic about three weeks ago in several tires I have in the outback. I've never grown garlic before and I'm excited that all of my sets are about 6 to 7 inches tall already. Are you saying that I should be concerned about a hard freeze? I'm on the border of zones 5 and 6 and it can sometimes be below 20*F here for weeks on end. With my plants in raised beds they will surely be subjected to the elements. Are you saying that I should pile on some straw for protection?

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Smiles said:
Hey you guys, I'm getting concerned. I put out 30 cloves of garlic about three weeks ago in several tires I have in the outback. I've never grown garlic before and I'm excited that all of my sets are about 6 to 7 inches tall already. Are you saying that I should be concerned about a hard freeze? I'm on the border of zones 5 and 6 and it can sometimes be below 20*F here for weeks on end. With my plants in raised beds they will surely be subjected to the elements. Are you saying that I should pile on some straw for protection?
I would.

THANX RICH

Latest posts