Consumer prices for organic food

Status
Not open for further replies.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
homewardbound said:
The Mama Chicken said:
We don't behave that way on this forum. Name calling and abusive language are absolutely unacceptable. You can disagree with someone without resorting to that. I'm done with this thread now.
I wasn't name calling I was stating a fact. This person is behaving towards me in the same manner in which he claims I have behaved towards others when I question peoples claims about how hard they have it as organic farmers. Organic farmers have a vested interest in claiming that they have to expend more time, labor and money to produce a crop than conventional farmers do because this is the only way organic farmers can justify the outrageous prices they charge consumers. I dont trust organic farmers any farther than I could throw them because my personal experience tells me that organic methods are no more time consuming, labor intensive or expensive than conventional methods are.
Mama is correct, call it what you will but abusive language is unacceptable.

This is always a hot topic, everyone has different opinions... and we all work different land in different weather so "no" no one has the same experiences as another can not be the know it all in every situation.

Though some may try! The point of a thread like this was to have people talk among themselves, share views, maybe learn something new... but not put other people down because they do not agree with you. Keep that in mind in the future.

homewardbound

Leafing Out
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
We've tried interplanting soybeans but the soybean yields are reduced due to competition from the corn.
You may get a reduced soybean yield by interplanting with corn, but dont you get a higher corn yield?

http://cornandsoybeandigest.com/pre...edges-capture-more-light-reward-higher-yields

As far as documentation that manure costs as much as commercial fertilizer, that's how it is priced. They do an analysis of it and price it accordingly.
In other words the consumer price for manure is set by the consumer price of commercial fertilizer and not by the supply of manure relative to demand. So organic farmers are being gouged by their suppliers and in turn these farmers do the same thing to their customers.

As far as non-GMO new inbreds being produced there is only 1 major seed breeder left to do that. Why? $$$$ as that is what the farmers want.
http://www.cropchoice.com/leadstry3539.html?recid=561

http://nongmosourcebook.com/non-gmosourcebook/us_suppliers.php?page=6

http://www.clarksongrain.com/

It's not that organic input costs are higher, it's just that yields are much less because of weeds and insects.
Then these so-called organic farmers are not doing something right because studies have shown that yields on organic farms can be just as high as they are on conventional farms and in some situations organic yields are even higher.

http://jcwinnie.biz/wordpress/?p=6208

contrary to general belief and prejudice fostered by agribusiness, industrial crops do not consistently yield more food. In fact, it is a pernicious myth that ecological organic agriculture yields less than conventional agriculture. A comprehensive study of 293 crop comparisons of industrial and organic agriculture demonstrated that organic farm yields are roughly comparable to industrial farm yields in developed countries; and result in much higher yields in developing nations.

http://journeytoforever.org/

The Guardian newspaper has reported, "The truth, so effectively suppressed that it is now almost impossible to believe, is that organic farming is the key to feeding the world".

http://www.pccnaturalmarkets.com/sc/1009/sc1009-organics.html

Research from the Rodale Institute, however, shows that once soil is restored organically, organic crop yields are comparable to the latest chemical yields.

In 1981 Rodale began the Farm System Trial (FST) project.

The FST research found that crop yields from organic and synthetic/chemical farms are similar in years of average precipitation.

It also found that organic farm yields are higher than those of chemical farms during droughts and floods, due to stronger root systems in organic plants, and better moisture retention in the soil, which prevents runoff and erosion.

The FST data also showed that organic production requires 30 percent less energy than chemical production when growing corn and soybeans, that organic farms create jobs because labor inputs are approximately 15 percent higher, and that the net economic return for organic crops is equal to or higher than that for chemically produced crops because upfront costs are lower.

In other word production costs per yield are not a contributing factor to higher consumer prices for organic foods.

Homewardbound, I challenge you to keep 30 acres of row crops clean by hand labor.
If you are talking vegetables rather than grain, I wouldnt be stupid enough to grow them in rows. I would use square foot methods to save time, labor and money. And if you are talking about grain you should note that weeds dont usually like good textured, fertile soil- which is what youd find on a legitimate organic farm.

Worst part is that you will starve off of the net profits on 30 acres.
Documentation? Proof? I need more than your say-so to go on.

homewardbound

Leafing Out
Reaction score
vfem said:
Mama is correct, call it what you will but abusive language is unacceptable.
So I am supposed to sit back and let a bunch of hypocrites who wont do any research to back up what they believe attack me simply because I have I dont believe their dogma?

This is always a hot topic, everyone has different opinions...
It is not a matter of opinion. It is a matter of fact. Both organic and industrial agriculture can be studied and then compared to each other using real world experience and real world data. Contrary to what the industrial and organic agriculture industries claim organic methods are no more costly and no less productive than industrial methods are. But the practitioners in both industries have a vested interest in convincing grocery consumers that organic food is supposed to cost more because industrial farmers dont want the competition and organic farmers want absurd profit margins.

and we all work different land in different weather so "no" no one has the same experiences as another can not be the know it all in every situation.
True, but we can compare industrial farms and organic farms that do have the same weather and the same soils.

Though some may try! The point of a thread like this was to have people talk among themselves, share views, maybe learn something new...
I am the one who started this thread, so who are you tell me what the point of it is? I asked if anyone here has switched from non-organic to organic methods and found that they produce more food with less money, time and labor using organic methods than they did with non-organic methods but all I got was an argument by people who are stupid enough to accept other peoples hype at face value.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Homewardbound, if you continue to come across so abrasive and confrontational, you will find than no one wants to respond to your posts, regardless of the veracity of your statements.

terrielacy

Leafing Out
Administrator
Reaction score
I think we are done here.

Remember that the report button is your friend. Those who didn't use it and should have should remember that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts