Container Gardening: Odds & Ends

Michigan_Nick

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Morning all,

I tried using the search tool to find thread titles in the last year referencing container gardening. Found some threads from 2013 and beyond so was just hoping to get some feedback from other gardeners on this sub-topic. Looking to open up discussion on soil recipes, additives and fertilizers, tools, equipments, and other tips & tricks. I've personally been going at cucumbers (which are thriving right now for me in MI), tomatoes, peppers, and onions all in pots and various containers.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
some plants do ok, but others do not like having their roots get very warm and so they may take that as a sign to finish earlier than you'd expect.

other issues are around keeping them wet enough when it gets hot and avoiding dead spots in the soil where moisture just goes around and doesn't really saturate... depending upon your soil mix and how the drainage is set up.

around here we don't do too much with planters or containers (we just took some of them out) for vegetables, but i'm familiar with growing things in pots/containers from when i was younger and had several hundred house plants and some terrariums.

Michigan_Nick

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
some plants do ok, but others do not like having their roots get very warm and so they may take that as a sign to finish earlier than you'd expect.

other issues are around keeping them wet enough when it gets hot and avoiding dead spots in the soil where moisture just goes around and doesn't really saturate... depending upon your soil mix and how the drainage is set up.

around here we don't do too much with planters or containers (we just took some of them out) for vegetables, but i'm familiar with growing things in pots/containers from when i was younger and had several hundred house plants and some terrariums.

Thanks for the reply! Yeah here in zone 5 -Michigan- or so we don't receive too brutal of summers. Maybe a handful of 90 degree days all summer. So as a young, experimental gardener I figured I would start like this on a smaller scale (20 or so total plants). I can usually keep a pretty good eye on everything since it's at a "controllable" scale...for now haha. Thanks for your input!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums, Nick. I seem to have more plants in containers than I'd really prefer ;). All things equal: They do better in the open garden. All things are not equal and the exposure is easier to control when I can pick up and move the container.

Too often, they become root bound, nutrients can be washed out, and I can forget to water quite often enuf :rolleyes:

For soil mix recipes, I have used the simpler ones found here: link.

Steve

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
One thing i found a big help with container are the water storing crystals. my window boxes willn't have a chance without. A old member hear used no frills baby diapers to line container they use the same water storing crystals but at half the price.

Michigan_Nick

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums, Nick. I seem to have more plants in containers than I'd really prefer ;). All things equal: They do better in the open garden. All things are not equal and the exposure is easier to control when I can pick up and move the container.

Too often, they become root bound, nutrients can be washed out, and I can forget to water quite often enuf :rolleyes:

For soil mix recipes, I have used the simpler ones found here: link.

Steve

Understandable, thanks for sharing that link Steve!

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
upload_2018-6-24_15-3-55.png

Latest posts