Container Gardening

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, you had to be close. But the mint went a little crazy so every week I trimmed it up and it's aroma lasted for a little while in the area. I also hosed the foliage down every time I watered and that released some fragrance. I encouraged everyone to rub leaves when they passed, it was a popular container.

The orange mint turned out to be a great draper, although it kind of overwhelmed the poor alyssum which I had hoped would spill over the edge too.

I liked the orange mint so much I'm going to include it in as many plantings as I can.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Does mint flower? I kind of like your idea for a planter next to front door at kennel. All male dogs pee on the base of planter. The soil and flowers are high enough to be safe.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, mint blooms later in the season. A small blue or white spike.
mint-bloom.jpg

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those planters are great @ninnymary and @thistlebloom
But I tend to have problems with mine ;) They dry out or get overwatered! My Bad.

Sometimes it's the soil. There are very porous mixes out there that are so fluffy that they need watering every day if it's very hot, and some others I've used that are so dense that they don't drain well and stay waterlogged.
Now I try to use the same brand of soil every year so I know what to expect.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ninnymary love your containers, the one on the fence really caught my eye. From the looks of it your chickens have pretty fancy digs. The other container with the purple flowers is it concrete or maybe hyperturfa?
Annette
It's concrete. I bought it with money that one of my students gave me. I always get things for the garden when they give me $. That way I'm always surrounded by their love. Over the years I do forget who gave me what but I'm still surrounded by things that I love that was possible because of their giving.

The purple flowers are Lantana.

Mary

Last edited:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Carol, I tend to put small containers in the shade so they won't dry out so fast. I usually only water those about 2x week.

My large containers are in full sun. Those have the dwarf fruit trees and blueberries. They are heavily mulched and usually I only have to water them once a week. Of course my weather is much cooler than yours.

Mary

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Carol, I tend to put small containers in the shade so they won't dry out so fast. I usually only water those about 2x week.

My large containers are in full sun. Those have the dwarf fruit trees and blueberries. They are heavily mulched and usually I only have to water them once a week. Of course my weather is much cooler than yours.

Mary
I am more to blame for pots that dry out and Grandsons HELP water and overdo it!

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Love, love, love that photo Mary, I let all the lattice age naturally too, once you either paint or stain it it's an unending job to keep it looking nice.

Annette

Latest posts